Internet options

Old 04-09-03, 02:11 PM
Legion1
Visiting Guest
Internet options

I am moving to a rural area, which does not yet have phone lines etc for DSL availabile. I was wondering if anyone knew of another option to get high speed internet access int he middle of the jungle. :P Thanx

Old 04-09-03, 04:18 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Satellite is always an option, but not a good one. It's expensive and the connection are not DSL speeds. You could check on Cable access, it's not restricted to distance like DSL is, only to the provider. Wireless is your other option, but there are distance restrictions there. That's about it for high speed. ISDN, if you want to consider it high speed. It's faster than 56k, but not near the speed of cable or DSL.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-03, 04:23 PM
Without phone lines supporting DSL or cable service providing internet access, there is only one alternative:
SATELLITE
You would need to have 2-way satellite service, all data flow up and down through the dish.
Earthlink offers 2-way satellite sevice, I highly recomend Earthlink for any type of service. We have their DSL.
https://register.earthlink.net/cgi-b...satellite.html

Satellight internet sevice does typically cost more that wire based service, however if you must have broadband in timbucktwo, Earthlink satellight saves the day.

gj

Old 04-09-03, 05:01 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Has anyone read Earthlink's fees?

$249.95 minimum installation fee.
$549.95 min on dish hardware.
12 month contract required.
Early termination fee $399.99

Monthly price for Internet service (does not include DirectTV service).. $69.95

Ouch!

Old 04-09-03, 06:31 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
HOLY ....!!!

I had never actually checked on the pricing. That's insane!

But, if you read the FAQ, it gets even better...

How do these speeds compare with DSL and cable modems?
They are in the same general range as both of these technologies.
Cable: Download speeds of up to 2Mbps and upload speeds of up to 384Kbps
DSL: Download speeds of up to 1.5Mbps and upload speeds of up to 128Kbps
Satellite: Download speeds of up to 400Kbps and upload speeds of up to 60Kbps
Dial-up: Download and upload speeds of up to 56Kbps
Ok, am I missing something? Or is that 1/4 to 1/5 the speed of DSL or cable? True, some cable and DSL connections are only 512k or so, but then again, they only run $40/month or so. And most of them have FREE installation or a DIY kit.

Hmm, think I'll stick with cable.

BTW, I would be willing to bet you would be lucky to get 200k dl, even on a clear night!

Old 04-09-03, 11:44 PM
I like my cable I have 3Mbs down loads for $42 a month. I would not move any place I would not keep my cable net.

Old 04-10-03, 12:56 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by SafeWatch
HOLY ....!!!
Now you know why I'm waiting for DSL; Though it seems, perhaps that the Dish Network is a little less expensive on the front-end, but I haven't checked in a while...

One other possibility (excluding radio/wireless, of course) has so many wherefore and what-nows that it is pretty much irrelevant, but it is certainly worth mentioning, if you have no other choice; Multilink.

If you can find a provider who is using Microsoft's Remote Access Server and if, they are willing to enable Multilink, theoretically you may have some kind of solution. Essentially, you'd need two phone lines, two modems and not only would your provider need to be using Microsoft, but so would you. The basic idea is that you connect via two modems and the software "shares" the lines and uses them as one which in theory should double your connection speed. Unfortunately, about a million years ago when I operated an ISP, my experiments showed that you didn't actually get a doubling of speed and there was real questions as to whether there was any measurable benefit, whatsover.

Of course, we were only dealing in perceptions and the fact that the dialing computer was using a beta version of the software and we were using an antiquated phone system may have something to do with our belief. But, a quick check of the Knowledge Base shows that MS continues to support the technology up through their subsequent operating systems and now includes it in the distributions, so somebody somewhere believes it actually works and I assume that it has improved somewhat over the years.

And it should also be noted that I conducted my experiments working in conjunction with the tech-guy from the local Coast Guard bases and though we didn't think it provided enough benefit for me to build a business model around, I did leave it enabled and a couple of Coasties did continue to use it; So, I don't know.

You can do a search of the Knowledge Base using the term "MultiLink" for more information and the following link will take you to setup instructions for XP; http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;307849; It should also be noted that the linked-page doesn't explicitedly name the MS-RAS and instead, it requires a dial-in who can support multiple connections; I don't know about the other RAS products because all of my experience is with MS and I know it is supported with their products, but the others, I haven't a clue...

Keep Passing Open Windows;
R

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: