Hard Drive Problem

Old 04-12-03, 12:36 PM
Pigfanatic
Visiting Guest
Hard Drive Problem

Can Not Install Operating System???

This morning my computer - Gateway - 400mzh - Win98 - 192 Ram - Frozen up.. after rebooting I kept getting the blue screen of death that said "Fatal exception OE 015F:8349F3CF" when you press "any key" it changes to 015F:BFF9D5C2.

Called customer-no-help at gateway and after having me try many, many things... including scanreg /restore and scanreg /fix and gwscan.... NONE would get anywhere. Emailed me a thing to download, I guess a new bootdisk.... I use this disk, press a few buttons that they told me too... then next thing I know they are telling me that I need a new hard drive. The BIOS does not even show that I have a hard drive.

I go right away and get another Western Digital HD and install it... When I get to the screen to install the operating system it tells me that it can not install for 1 of 2 reasons. 1- hard drive not found or 2- CD rom not found. Checked cables and all seems the sames as before. Tried to install CD but said that Hard drive had to be formated first!!!

Any ideas?? Any at all?

Old 04-12-03, 05:54 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does the bios recognize the new drive? What size was the old drive and what size is the new? did it come formatted, or will you have to do it? Did it come with any installation software? You may need a win98 boot disk and format(possibly f disk) it first.

Old 04-12-03, 09:20 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That was my thought too, Tae. You probably need to fdisk/partition your disk first, then format the disk. Then you shoudl be able to install an OS. However, you need to make sure the BIOS is recognizing the 2 drives first. If not, you may have a bad IDE cable, bad IDE channel or bad Mother Board. Start with the cheapest option, chang the HD's cable to the other channel on the MoBo. If that doesn't work, you should have gotten a new cable with your new HD, try replacing the cable. You also need to make sure you have the Pins right on the back of the drive (set HD to master and CD to slave if they are on the same cable, if not both should be master if you have no other drives.) If none of the above works, my guess would be your MoBo's IDE interface has gone or possibly a bad BIOS.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-03, 10:04 PM
Pigfanatic
Visiting Guest
Well.... Finally got the thing up and running. Not sure what Hubby did but he got it where it would boot up. After he installed alot of things I checked and our new 20gb Hard Drive was only showing 2gb.. After doing some checking here and on Western Digital website found what I needed to fix the problem... Needed to partition and format the new HD. The download had a find and fix feature that I used on the old Hard Drive.. I was unfixable.

Thanks for all the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: