What is this all about?

Old 04-15-03, 07:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What is this all about?

WinXP System

I keep getting a pop up advertisment on on desktop even if I'm not on the net.

Have no new software installed lately and Ad-Aware does not see this happening, pop=up stopper does not stop it.

Did get cable modem connected a few days ago.

Here is a link to what I need to know about, is there someway to stop this other then buying the program they say will pervent these pop-up ads?

messagestomper

Anyone-else getting these pop-up messages?

Old 04-15-03, 08:44 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was getting those about 6 months or so ago. I found out it was coming through Windows Messenger (defaulted to on in WinXP.) Very annoying. If you don't use Messenger at all (NOT MSN Messenger - Windows Messenger - if you don't know what it is, you don't use it), you can go to Run and type "Net Stop Messenger" to turn it off. But, it will turn back on when you restart. If you go to Services and completely disable it, you won't have to worry about turning it off all the time.

With a router/firewall I don't get these messages anymore. I didn't even think about them anymore until I saw this post. I checked my Messenger service, and sure enough, it's on. But I haven't seen those messages since installing the router. I highly recommend using a router with Cable/DSL service anyway. For one thing, you never know when you'll need another connection, and they are just so cheap these days ($20-50 depending on brand and nodes.)

Good luck! Let me know if you need more help finding the Services (I'm not real familiar with XP Home, so you may have to do some looking.)

Old 04-15-03, 08:58 AM
Thanks I did what you said and it did turn off, I have the network connected to a hub, both pc's on this net have there own IP address, and both were getting the pop-up add so I will have to turn it off on the other sytem as well, hope this stops the problem.

It's funny how this never happened until we were connected to cable.

Old 04-15-03, 09:06 AM
S
It still happens on dial-up, it's just that you're not on all the time, so you don't see them as much. Fortunately, so far, this hasn't really become such a problem that the pop-ups happen frequently. But I'm sure it won't take long. Hopefully, MS will have a fix for it shortly.

BTW, hubs and routers are totally different pieces of hardware. All a hub will do is connect your computers, routers actually accept the IP address from your ISP and then act as a DHCP for your computers, they also have firewall capabilities which you don't get with hubs (I know that's simplifying.)

Old 04-15-03, 09:17 AM
Well I don't know much when it comes down to hub verses router, I was hopping to share the one cable connect line thru the cross over between the pc's, but cable installer said I can't do it that way, so I had to get a 2nd static IP for the wifes putter, one thing about that is with her own IP I don't have to have this putter turned on for her to be on line, 2nd IP was only $5 more per month, not bad to get both online.

So if I still get these message pop-ups will I need to install a firewall on both pc's?

Old 04-15-03, 09:34 AM
S
With Messenger service turned off, you won't get the messages anymore.

BTW, I'll rent you a router for $5/month that will give you 4 IP's

Seriously, get a router. With a router, you are only limited by the number of nodes on the router (and not really even that, as you can network computers beyond that with hubs or computer-to-computer, etc.) With what you spend in the next 6 months on having that extra IP address, you can have a very good router (I got a D-link 4 port 6 months ago for $30 after rebate from BB.) They are very cheap now (take a quick look at www.techbargains.com or www.newegg.com just to see.) What I'm basically saying is that you don't need the extra IP with a router, it keeps the ISP IP address for you, then you can have as many (up to 256) IP's behind it, and your ISP has no idea what's going on (btw, that's not illegal either - it's not like stealing cable or something.) Most people here do that with their DSL/Cable connections. I'm sure we'll hear from a few of them shortly

Old 04-15-03, 09:49 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
IP Addresses w/cable modem

Not sure why your cable company would force you to buy a 2nd IP address when you really don't need one. We have capabilites for up to 8 computers on a single cable modem with one IP address. This is how the cable guy suggested we setup our network a few years ago when we first got a cable modem. Currently using a "Motorola Surfboard" cable modem which is newer than the original modem we had. (Static from a lightening strike across the street last spring fried our last modem.)

We use a 4 port router (SMC) and an 8 port switch (also made by SMC). SMC tech support were the ones who suggested we get the switch for what we wanted to do. All network cables for computers go straight into the switch which is how all computers on our network can surf the web independently on a single IP address. There's only one network cable between router and switch.

Anyway, this setup works out great for us. By using the switch we can also turn off the router, and also the modem, and yet still be able to access other computers on the network for doing stuff.

Old 04-15-03, 09:54 AM
S
The switch in your case balances the network traffic. Routers don't do this, they just "route" the packets. Switches are unnecessary in most cases though.

Old 04-15-03, 10:45 AM
T
It used to be that cable companies were ignoring multiple computers on one connection. It was not unusual to have 4 computers simply connected to a hub, then to the modem, and they would all have a different IP address. However, the good old days are gone now, and ATT/Comcast no longer allows this. I'm still not 100% sure on how they authenticate you since I can connect any of my computer to the modem and I get an IP address. It used to be they used the MAC address or the computer name, but I right now it makes no difference.
There should be no need to purchase 2 IP addresses unless you have software (some games come to mind) that have to have a direct connection to the net, and a real IP address. You can simply go and buy an inexpensive router (I just paid $14 after rebate for one at MicroCenter), and run your network that way. You don't even need a hub, most routers will come with at least 4 ports.
I do however believe that you should get a switch if you have a network. A hub will slow down the network considerably, especially if you do any type of file sharing.
Regarding the pop up, simply start up the computer with just the minimal start up options (using MSconfig). Then start them up one at the time until you find which one will make the pop up come up. Kazaa loves pop ups.

Old 04-15-03, 10:55 AM
I have looked at all start-up's and do not see anything out of ordinary or newly things added to cause the pop-up's, still waiting to see if they reaccure after turning off Net Stop Messenger.

As far as who I have cable with, it is Comcast, I'm all setup and I'll just go with what I have, hate trying to make a change and find mayself going nuts cause something went wrong.

Old 04-15-03, 12:47 PM
tae
I too am one of the lucky ones who can connect multiple computers to the net . I run all the puters to the switch,and the switch to the (cable) modem, and the modem to the net. I use a switch instead of a hub as a hub only allows one way communication(like a walkie talkie) but the switch allows 2 way(like a phone). I know someday i will probably need a router, but who knows what new technology will be here before that? And, with cable, remember that when the computer and modem and switch/hub/router are on, you ARE connected to the internet, whether or not you are using internet explorer or netscape or whatever. I highly recommend a firewall, either software, like zone alarm or sygate, or hardware, like built into a router.

Old 04-16-03, 03:03 PM
dhunt36033
Visiting Guest
The thing I did was went into C: then programs then to the the messenger folder right click on it and rename it like messanger1 or something the hit OK and it will not show up anywhere on your PC. Since it won't be able to find it. The only thing is when you do updates at MS it will change it back so you have to go through the procedure again. If by chance you need that annoying piece of software back for some reason just rename it it's origianal name.

Old 04-16-03, 03:26 PM
S
MSN Messenger is totally different software than the Windows Messenger service. MSN Messenger is, obviously, the online IM service everyone is familiar with. WinMessenger is something totally different, that most people don't even know about. It's used mostly by SysAdmin's to send server alerts and messages to a LAN. However, lately, a select few companies have figured out how to exploit the service and send broadcast messages to the internet. The WinMessenger service uses these pop-ups to display messages, and if you have it on, you will see the pop-ups. Without filtering through a router or other firewall (and sometimes even when you do) you will receive these pop-ups. Another nice feature of MS products.

BTW, the NT versions of Windows (NT, 2k, XP) default to having this service enabled (for obvious reasons.) The only way to disable the messages is to disable the service (or, as mentioned, use a hardware or software firewall.)

One more note: there are much easier ways to disable MSN Messenger (that do not require it being installed and taking up room on the HD.)

Old 04-16-03, 03:47 PM
dhunt36033
Visiting Guest
I got thinking about that after I posted it. I know they are different. I guess I shoud have read more closely.

As for the easyier way are yopu talking about the reg edit command?
I apologise for not clearly readin the whold post. I am glad you cought that.
Thanks D3

Old 04-16-03, 05:30 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
When I first read P2ks query and SafeWatch's response, I was reminded of something I had read sometime during the past few months. I went back this afternoon and found what I had read, prior.

Basically, a spammer sends a net message to a block of ip addresses and if your ip address falls within that block, then you're going to get the message. 98% of the folks who have tried to address this spam has done as has been suggested, turned-off their Messenger Service and in case you missed the directions before, or in case it is different on your platform; This link has platform-specific directions.

Of course, Microsoft doesn't advise anyone to turn-off their messenger because after all, it'll also block messages from your own computer, like the system alert that tells you when a file has completed printing and others. Instead, they suggest that you enable the "Internet Connection Firewall", if you are running XP or get a third-party firewall, if you are running something else. The following link is to the Knowledge Base article which presents Microsoft's reasoning for not disabling and includes a link to a step-by-step for their ICF (KB: 283673) KB: 330904

I realize that my post is essentially just a restatement of our esteemed moderator's response; Turn-off messenger or get/enable a firewall; But to me, only a straight-line or a circle is perfect and I decided to jump-in and bring this thread back around towards the beginning; I hope no one minds...

Peace Out;
R

PS) I'm not sure and I'm not going to fiddle with my computer to find out, but I suspect those error messages that you would get if there were a conflict between two pieces of hardware, or if something failed to load would also be communicated to you, via Windows Messenger...

Last edited by magister; 04-16-03 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-16-03, 06:24 PM
dhunt36033
Visiting Guest
conflict between two pieces of hardware, or if something failed to load would also be communicated to you, via Windows Messenger
You know it. It would'nt gate's hell if it didn't happen.

Old 04-16-03, 07:06 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
No, what makes it an old Chris Sarandon film , circa 1977 is the fact that not being content with most of the money, now MS has built a software firewall into an OS Service Pack in an effort to get more.

Darn, there went my circle...

Old 04-16-03, 07:28 PM
S
PS) I'm not sure and I'm not going to fiddle with my computer to find out, but I suspect those error messages that you would get if there were a conflict between two pieces of hardware, or if something failed to load would also be communicated to you, via Windows Messenger...
To be honest, I couldn't tell ya. I have my WinMess(er-upper) enabled by default. Didn't even think about it until this thread. But, since I'm behind the router, I don't see the messages anyway. I would think that you would still get error pop-ups (even local print job pop-ups.) Again, I think that this only applies to network activity (ie: a network print job does not complete, or out of paper, etc.) But, I didn't read the MS article either, so I'm just guessing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: