Video Problems

Old 04-17-03, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video Problems

Can anyone help?

A local shop changed out my case the other day and now I have video problems. I didn't think he would alter any drivers or the like.

However, it's messed up. When I reboot, the screen will have lines and symbols, sometimes it will reboot normally. And then sometimes it will reboot but then come up with a message that says video settings may not be compatable.

I deleted all drivers and software for video card and monitor, but then when I reload the drivers it does the same thing.

It seems to be caused by the adapter drivers adding a second monitor. I have a geforce 440se 8x agp.
Anyone know how to change the settings to one monitor. Everytime I try to delete the other monitor, it will add a"default monitor" when I restart.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 04-17-03, 09:17 AM
Brian,

What is your operating system (ie: Win98, 98se, xp, me?). Also, why did you change out your case and was any new hardware added or was it just a swap out.

Any information you can provide (monitor brand, model will help too) will help us pinpoint the possible cause.

One thing you can do is to open the case (while system is off and unplugged) and make sure all the cards are seated, and all plugs are secure inside the case. Also check the back of the monitor and make sure the connection there is secure. After reclosing the case, make sure the connection the monitor makes to the case is also secure. Sometimes it can be as simple as those problems, but if not, please post back with as much information as possible so we can help.

Thanks,

Kay

Old 04-17-03, 09:30 AM
I' running windows 98se.

The monitor is viewsonic E771.

I had the case switched out to have usb ports in the front of the case.

As far as I know, this should have been very simple. The drivers/hardware, etc. should have no changes at all.

But for some reason, like I said, my video is all messed up. I reseated the card, all connections are good. I've narrowed it down to the card tho. When I delete the adapter drivers, the computer works fine. It's only when I reload the drivers that the "drivers" (or video software), adds a default monitor and things go wrong. I want to delete the second monitor but it won't let me.
You've probably seen this before, under display properties, Nvidia software lets you choose between 2 displays. I tried loading the adapter drivers without the nvidia software, but it seems to add it whether you want it or not. I haven't tried just letting windows load drivers for the geforce card. Should I delete the card again and let windows assign drivers from it's database?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 04-17-03, 09:49 AM
Yes, try that. Windows like to be in control of things so maybe this is a good time to let it LOL. If that doesn't work please post back.

Kay

Old 04-17-03, 10:02 AM
T
I believe one of your adapter cards (PCI) changed slots during the "moving process", which prompted Windows to rediscover all hardware. Even though your video card may have 2 outputs, they should only be activated if you have something plugged into it (ie you have a monitor and the connector for the TV out. In that case it will say it has 2 monitors, and you have to choose the primary monitor as the first one. I use that setup where the tuner card is "ported out" to a TV, but everything else is ported to the monitor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: