Need to get around password on DELL laptop

Old 04-18-03, 08:07 AM
Need to get around password on DELL laptop

My sister in law had a friend who was staying with them, and he had a dell laptop from one of his old workplaces. When he moved, he left it. I don't know much about it, but I think it may be a 350 or so.

WHen I boot it up, it goes straight intoa screen that says:

Dell Computer Corporation

this computer system, #2n6t4**-d35b. is protected by a password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password.

Please type in the primary or administrator password and press enter.

This is the damnest thing. I press f2 to get into setup, but it never reaches that screen and goes straight into this one. I put in win 2k to see if it would auto load, but it did not (win 2k may not auto load anyway) anyhow, I don't give a damn about the contents on this machine, as I will likely reformat and reinstall windows anyway. What can I do to get around this???

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-03, 02:10 PM
what I have tried so far::

-using bootable floppy/cd
-checked the sites with generic backdoor cracks, none worked.

-has a phoenix a08 bios.

apparently this damn thing is set up by dell, and is placed before cmos, so there is almost no damn way in.

Old 04-18-03, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't know much about laptops (too hard to work on), but you may be able to replace the BIOS in it? I seriously doubt you will get around the password anytime in the near future. I've seen several backdoors around, but I don't know if they work on laptops.

Good luck!

Old 04-18-03, 02:47 PM
The laptop doesn't come protected that way, the user does that and yes, its in the cmos. You won't be able to access anything unless you know that password. 3 wrong answers and the system shuts back down.

I have my laptop cmos passworded since it is the only ensurance that the kids don't get on it when I'm not around. If you simply password protect a screensaver, they just reboot LOL.

Kay

Ps. If you will look on the bottom of the system it has some information you will need to help with your search on Dell, if you choose to check their site. There is a service tag # which is a combination of numbers and letters ie: A0Z95 (it doesn't say service tag #), and also should have the style and make of the laptop on the back as well.

K

Old 04-18-03, 02:58 PM
lsufan861
Visiting Guest
You may try formatting the current OS and put on a new OS of your choice. The it will be like a new system with no of the previous info and this is only if your friends no longer plan on using the system agian.

Old 04-18-03, 03:04 PM
You may try formatting the current OS and put on a new OS of your choice. The it will be like a new system with no of the previous info and this is only if your friends no longer plan on using the system agian.
The only problem with that is that he can't get into the system to reinstall an OS. The password he is talking about is the Setup/Startup password, not the OS password. Without it, you can't even get into DOS to format.

The laptop doesn't come protected that way, the user does that and yes, its in the cmos. You won't be able to access anything unless you know that password. 3 wrong answers and the system shuts back down.

I have my laptop cmos passworded since it is the only ensurance that the kids don't get on it when I'm not around. If you simply password protect a screensaver, they just reboot LOL.

Kay

Ps. If you will look on the bottom of the system it has some information you will need to help with your search on Dell, if you choose to check their site. There is a service tag # which is a combination of numbers and letters ie: A0Z95 (it doesn't say service tag #), and also should have the style and make of the laptop on the back as well.

K
I'm thinking it may be a corporate setup, Kay. If that's the case, they may have changed it all around. I'm with you though, I always use the CMOS protection password on laptops.

Do laptops have a CMOS reset on them? And, if so, is it in any way accessible? Just a thought.

Old 04-18-03, 03:11 PM
According to the Dell site there is a way around it. Their solution is to call them and verify that you are the actual owner of the computer and they will explain to you how to get passed it. I am assuming somewhere out there is a hacker that knows how to do this LOL.

Yes, more than likely the administrator password protected the system to help deter information theft.

Kay

Ps. Let me search some known hacker sites and see if I can come up with anything. Won't post it here though LOL. I have a laptop that I would like to remain confidential (well, unhacked by my children LOL).

K.

Old 04-18-03, 04:46 PM
Try Phoenix (. That may be what was it was set to in the beginning. It may have been mfgr set afterall. Here's the tip:

If the password was set by the manufacturer or another user, try common passwords, like "password," "user," "BIOS," "CMOS," "Setup," "Award," "AMI," or "Phoenix."

Kay

Ps. I'm still checking. Found one that tells you how to drain the battery etc, but that seems a little risky this early in the game.

K.

Pps. Boy, I'm a hackin' now LOL. Here's some more to try:

PHOENIX BIOS backdoor passwords:
phoenix, PHOENIX, CMOS, BIOS

MISC. COMMON PASSWORDS:
ALFAROME
BIOSTAR
biostar
biosstar
CMOS
cmos LKWPETER
lkwpeter
setup
SETUP
Syxz
Wodj

Old 04-18-03, 06:19 PM
Pop the motherboard battery. Erases password protection in Bios. Also erase bios, so you will need to reset preferrences.
Hard part is taking apart and putting back together.

Old 04-19-03, 05:02 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Accessing the motherboard starts at removing the keyboard, right?

For instance, on my Dell i8200 the keyboard comes off (detached) by popping up one of the blank keys by the left, right, up, down scroll keys (under the right "shift" key), therefore the keyboard flips up to expose the video card and the rest of the guts under the keys...but it could be different for jthompson's laptop.

Old 04-19-03, 08:14 AM
Once at the Dell site, you can go to their tech notes and it has diagrams and instructions for how to remove the cover, keyboard, etc. based on your model.

Kay

Old 04-19-03, 04:42 PM
Either pull the COMS battery or download that latest bios version and flash it. There are also several utility's that clean the BIOS after a “Bad Flash” that will do the same thing. Do a goggle search for bad flash and i think you will find what you are looking for.

Old 04-21-03, 05:31 PM
I appreciate all the help that has been provided.

Over the weekend I tried several things:

--I had already tried all those so-called backdoor passwords, ALL to no avail.

-My boss and I yanked the keyboard up and pulled the cmos battery and left it off for 30 mins, still no luck.

-I took it to a nephews place this weekend, who is also really good with computers. Together we literally pulled "every" single screw out of the entire laptop. We had the thing 100% dissasembled, monitor case, and all the chips in it's entirety. What we found is that unlike a desktop pc, there is no jumpers to reset for the cmos.

-oh well, so much for that one. Now for the reassembly (My GOD, do you have any idea how many small parts go into a laptop??) I got it 70% reassembled but now the it seems to come on, but light blinks and no display. I still have literally about 20 leftover screws, so I am going to take my time, and re assemble it properly.

-Providing the assumption that re-assembly goes correct, I will try re booting with the cmos battery unplugged. If that has no luck then?? My boss was saying that you have to buy a new eprom and sauder it on. Does anyone know what this is and how it is done??

- I have never flashed a bios, is this possible in my situation, and do you think it would work?? I thought that the only way to flash a bios was to do it through the floppy drive???? The floppy drive as well as the cd drive, and any access into cmos is all disabled by this damn password, so therefore I would think that flashing the bios will not work?????

-This is the damnest most secure thing I have ever seen in my life.

The history behind this laptop?? Well, my wifes sister and husband had a good friend living with them for a couple of years. This friend got a job, and the job gave him this laptop. When he quit the job, they never asked for it back. Well, as to be expected, when you have friends living with you, he burned his bridges, and my sis and bro in law got upset and gave him his notice to move out. He moved out, but left everything he did not care about, the laptop being one of the items. Therefore asking him the password is out of the question. Going to the dell site may be out of the question as well, because I am not the certified owner.

The idea was to get this thing running to give it to my 14 year old neice, so that she has a great tool to get her through high school and beyone.

Thanks for any opinions!

Old 04-21-03, 08:01 PM
LOL, I did a search for "Inspiron 7000" (the Dell laptop I recently acquired) and one of the first sites that popped-up was this:

http://www.globalshareware.com/Utili...urity-Chip.htm

Take a look at that, Jeremy, sounds like it might be helpful.

If not, sounds like you're going to be replacing the MoBo (which is actually what I was looking for.)

Good luck!