XP now running at a snails pace w/latest update

Old 04-22-03, 08:39 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
XP now running at a snails pace w/latest update

Anyone else notice how horribly slow Windows XP is running since adding the latest security patch?

I clicked "help" from the start menu while attempting to look something up today and I ended up waiting approximately 20 to 30 seconds until the app came up on the desktop. Actualy, I clicked "help" twice because I though maybe I mis-fired on my mouse click since nothing immediately came up on the desktop, then finally two help windows came up back to back. There is no other software installed on this Windows machine other than Windows itself since I just did a fresh install over the weekend then installed all of the latest patches.

Here's an article on the slow XP issue if anyone else has experienced speed problems...

Latest Windows XP Patch Slows PCs

Old 04-22-03, 08:47 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I keep mine pretty much up to date (sometimes the auto is annoying so I put it off for a few days.) I do have that fix installed and haven't notice any system performance issues (other than the usual inherent with any MS product.) I tried my Help, it comes up pretty quick.

If it's a problem, just uninstall it. It's not really important for home users anyway (according to the article.)

Old 04-25-03, 06:26 PM
B
I have noticed the same thing on my P4 2.4..it seems to have really slowed down since I installed the last two updates.

Most, if not all programs open much more slowly, but especially Outlook Express and IE6. Like you, even pull down menus seem to either move sluggishly or just stop altogether for a few seconds.

Strange, I was working on the issue just before logging on to the forum.

I deleted all .tmp files, removed temp files in IE, etc., thinking that might have been a problem, but it is still much slower than it was just two weeks ago.

Has Billy Gates stricken again????

ps..I do regular viruscans and system scans with Norton System works, and clean registry with regcleaner and use spybot weekly, but none of these have helped.

Old 04-25-03, 07:19 PM
I just updated one system yesterday, and no problem. Even on a P3 1.2Ghz! The other p3 1.00 may be another story. I'll keep this is mind though-the 1G is troublesome with updates.
gj
Does it apply to 2000Pro also? I may have already put it on my p4 2.4....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: