Noisy PC

Old 04-24-03, 05:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Noisy PC

I've recently developed a noisy personal confuser (IBM Aptiva)!
By process of elimination I determined it was not one of my two hard drives whirrrrring. So I figured it could be the fan. I took off the cover and found it not to be the main fan. My Pentium II has a separate small fan attached to the mother board. It whirrrrrs pretty loud and sounds a bit sick at times. Once in awhile it will go silent, like it used to be all the time. Can this 'lil fan be replaced or is my PII chip doomed when the fan dies???

fred

Old 04-24-03, 06:04 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Yes the fan can be replaced and yes your PII is doomed if the fan dies.

Old 04-24-03, 06:54 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Turn off the computer and take it with you to a computer store to get a replacement (or, do the smart thing and buy one online at www.tigerdirect.com or www.newegg.com. or any of a thousand other sites and pay about half-price or less for it.) You should be able to find a replacement very easily. And do so quickly. If it's making noise, that means it's not running at it's highest speed, which in turn means your CPU is running hot. That's not good.

Old 04-24-03, 12:20 PM
I know this guy that has a copper fan heat sink on his P4 that dose not require a fan, I think its pretty cool. But I would not use it on a OC’ed computer.

Old 04-25-03, 02:35 PM
Joed and Safewatch,

Okay guys, Thanks.

New fan at the local PC doctor was seven big ones. It's all fixed and silent once again.

thx,
fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: