Spyware & Addware???

Old 04-28-03, 08:10 PM
Dave_Roberts
Visiting Guest
Question Spyware & Addware???

Hi Everyone,

My question is this. Not long ago I downloaded Kaaza Media Desktop. When I did, It seemed the more I used it, The slower my computer would run and still is not up to par. I have an HP Pavilion 734n. It has a 2.0 ghz AMD processor, 512 mb DDR SDRAM, 64 mb NVIDIA GeForce4 Mx420 Graphics card, And I am running Windows XP (Home Version). Just recently I talked to a friend and he said that Kaaza has spyware. He told me to download Kaazalite, Which I did. But first I uninstalled Kaaza (Full Version) before I installed Kaazalite. My question is, when I uninstalled the program, would it take out the spyware and if it didn`t, do those programs that look for it on your computer and remove the Spyware and Addware work and work safely... I ask this cause I have a program from Webroot Software called "Spy Sweeper"... Before I try it, I would like to hear from you just so I don`t mess up the ol` computer... All advice is and will be "Greatly" appreciated...

Dave

Old 04-28-03, 08:46 PM
Y
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.lavasoft.nu
download "ad aware"

it will find all spyware
it will still be in your computer

kazaa lite has a lot of viruses, so scan all downloads before using

Old 04-28-03, 09:19 PM
tae
I use kazaa lite, as it is adware/spyware free. That doesnt mean the downloads will be. Ad aware is a good tool, but i think a few people on these boards do use a different one. Kazaa lite is just kazaa with the adware/spyware removed. Be sure to use an updated virus scanner. Since you are gonna use kazaa, might as well get the participation level crack here:
http://kazaahack.250x.com/kazaahack.exe
May the Judges continue to say peer to peer software is legal(although not all the downloads are)

Old 04-29-03, 11:40 AM
C
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
???

What does "participation level crack" refer to, and how does this download help?

Thanks- was just going to start using Kazaa lite, figured I better know what I'm in for!

Old 04-29-03, 05:32 PM
W
This "program" fools Kaza into thinking you are sharing/uploading/downloading a bunch of things at once. This puts you into a higher hierachy than normal Kaza users. I have friends that use this and it is supposed to give you priority on downloads and give you a faster connection because you have priority on the network. I have a cable modem so I almost always get a fast connection, but this may have validity for folks still on dial up modems. I don't really know if really works or not, but I assume it ain't gonna hurt.

Old 04-29-03, 05:54 PM
Used Kaazalite from day 1 of it's release. Never heard of this program, but I have a cable modem and get connection speeds that are sometimes just borderline awesome for large files.

Does this change the level at the bottom where it says k-lite master 1000?

Old 04-29-03, 08:30 PM
Dave_Roberts
Visiting Guest
My Original Question Was!!!

Hi Everyone,

First of all.. Tae, I tried that "KaazaHack" and it seems to do alot better at downloading!!! "Thank-You"... Yongeman, Also "Thank-You"... But what I want to know is, Are using those Spyware and Addware removal programs "Safe"??? Do they work??? Will it mess up my Windows XP???

Thanks,
Dave

Old 04-29-03, 11:07 PM
tae
yes they are usually "safe" but there are always exceptions. Some programs, like kazaa, use adware/spyware to work, and removing that makes it non functional. Otherwise they are safe and great. referance this recent thread:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=129921
to see that it does work.
The "hack" has 4 ways of increasing your user participation level, which is how kazaa assigns priority to getting files. Look here:
http://kazaa.com/us/help/glossary/pa...tion_ratio.htm
to see how kazaa explains it.

Old 05-03-03, 05:02 AM
An alternative (and a better one in my opinion) to Ad-Aware is Spybot S&D . Donations are requested but not required. The download loacations are at the bottom of the page.

I have been using this program for many months now and have never had a problem. It was also recently rated CNET's editors choice for spyware removal programs (over Ad-Aware and others).

Old 05-10-03, 03:02 AM
poh
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

i agree with patrussell...i used both ad aware and spybot...spybot finds more than ad aware can...plus spybot offers updates pepriodically

Old 05-16-03, 01:37 PM
quiles
Visiting Guest
By uninstalling Kazaa it is unlikely that you completey uninstalled all the spyware that came with Kazaa. You can use Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6 and that will completely remove all spyware safely from the 'ol machine. Ad-Aware 6 is a free utility that can be found at Downloads.com.

Happy computing

Old 05-16-03, 03:33 PM
T
Kazaa has a tendency of slowing down the computer by not releasing the RAM it uses. It also has a tendency to keep a lot of stuff in memory. For the people that have Win2K or XP, start Kazaa and then look at how much RAM it's using. Then after downloading a whole bunch of files look again. You'll most likely see that the RAM it takes has increased significantly. It's not exactly a memory leak which will cause your computer to crash, but it's not very efficient at handling RAM.

Old 05-16-03, 04:20 PM
Visiting Guest
I use the excellent but not free BPS Spyware Removal program which does the following:
'A multi Adware, SpyWare, Trackware, Thiefware, Big Brotherware, Key loggers, Trojans, Browser Hijackers, Dialers, Mal ware removal utility with multi-language support

Includes PopUp Killer - A web browser POP-UP Window Killer / Stopper. Works with all major web browsers

Includes SpyWatch - A real-time Spy ware monitoring program

Includes Spy Add/Remove - A Spy ware / Ad ware installer scanner and complete un-uninstaller.'

Available as a trial download from Here

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: