How to control DIY pop-ups.

Old 05-11-03, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to control DIY pop-ups.

I've been reading this forum for an hour and had to close about 100 pop-ups for DIY Special Offers. Without buying a pop-up killer, it there anyway to control these?

Old 05-11-03, 04:23 PM
C
If you are running Netscape 7.02 Select Edit, Preferences, Advanced, Scripts and Plugins, unselect the option Open a Link in a New Window, and restart Navigator. This will stop all pop ups, even the good ones.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-03, 10:56 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
A glance at the underlying html and script indicates that this site sets a cookie which expires or deletes in 4 days and when the cookie value is null or the cookie is nonexistent, it pops-up the Readers Digest ad. So, if you have cookies turned-off in your browser or if you refuse to accept it, it looks from a 2½ minute glance that your cookievalue would always be zero, so everytime you load a page you would be confronted with the pop-up.

Of course, I only glanced at the script and didn't parse every line and since I accept all cookies, I have no direct experience. But offhand, I see nothing to disprove my theory and because the pop-up is unnamed, you don't seem to have the option of stacking the pop-ups in a targetted window, either; Sorry.

Hope this Helps;
R

Old 05-14-03, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 51 Posts
Popup Ad Filter, $24.95. I get "0" popups running Win 98SE.

[This is not an ad; I have no interest in the company]

http://secure.emetrix.com/order/prod...=&Q=1&DC=&CUR=

Old 05-14-03, 07:01 PM
Wink

Thanks Magister. You have hit the nail on the head. Your information was highly informative to me. I had been changing my cookie settings, but would have never ever suspected that if you had not replied to my post. I am ever greatful! Thanks a million.

Old 05-14-03, 07:57 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Glad to help and just to let you know, since you have been playing with your cookies, so apparently you are motivated to do some restricting; Cookie acceptance can be set per zone, or per site depending on which version of IE you may be using; Click into the helpfile for your browser, select "Privacy" from the "Index" and follow that through to "cookies" and out through "Related Topics", a couple of times for more information.

Good Luck;
R

Old 05-14-03, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the tip. I do want to excersize more control and I will followup on your advice. Thanks again.

Old 05-23-03, 12:54 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
That's strange.
I am running on Win98se and I only get a pop up if I go to the DIY home page, I don't get one every time either.
I don't get any in the forum.

Old 05-23-03, 05:31 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Perhaps, you are set to accept cookies and go to the homepage first and then into the forums; Computers don't really know days, it's really a formula using milliseconds; But a cookie is set that expires in 345,600 seconds and no matter which page you load after it has expired, including the Private Messaging portion of the site; You will get the pop-up and every page is coded to produce the result; So, if you don't accept cookies and you don't have a pop-up killer, you get the Reader's Digest ad on every page.

Of course, I'm on here enough that I probably get popped every 345,600.0001 seconds; Perhaps, you only get it through the front door because you load that page, first.

Peace Out;
R

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: