RDram upgrade?

Old 05-21-03, 12:33 PM
Sabina
Visiting Guest
RDram upgrade?

I have a Dell XPS-733 computer with 128 mb RDram, nVIDIA GeForce3 video card - 64 mb. Hard drive, 20 gb.
When running some graphic intensive programs (Adobe photoshop, Age of mythology) the computer either freezes or performs very slowly.
I am planning to expand the ram to either 256 or 512 mb. Is it worth upgrading a system like mine to 512 mb of ram or would 256 enough?
Also, the speed of my rd ram is of 356 mh. can I combine that with higher speeds of rdram? My system processes up to 400 mh ram. Should I purchase the more expensive type direct from Dell or is it OK to buy at smaller shops?
Thank you.
Sabina

PS How does rdram compare to sdram?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-03, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't use RD or have much experience with it, so I'll leave that to someone who knows what they are talking about. But, for you SD vs. RD question, take a look at <a href="http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/1787/1/">this article</a> over at Hardwarecentral.com.

Good luck!

Old 05-21-03, 01:24 PM
Go to Crucial.com, input your model number and you'll get the correct RAM you need for your machine. 256Mb should be enough (RDRAM is not cheap). Dell sometimes has "unusual" memory requirements.

Old 05-21-03, 08:51 PM
tae
The computer will only go as fast as the slowest part. You probably could mix the memory speeds(although some computers can be quite picky, so check the return policy) but it will only operate at the slower memory speed.

Old 05-22-03, 03:45 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
I agree w/trinitro...go to crucial.com for memory for your Dell.

For total amount of memory on your system, especially for memory hungry software such as Photoshop, 192 mb is recommend by Adobe, but based upon my own experience Photoshop runs smoother and hardly crashes at all with a minimum of 384 mb. It all depends which third-party plugins, and how many, you're using in Photoshop, and if you have any other applications running at the same time.