error message

Old 05-22-03, 06:57 PM
error message

Hi, as you'll see I'm not very computer savvy. I want to test the waters in online poker and have been trying to download (windows 98) a free program. Every time I try to download a message comes up that they can't find a plug in. I tried to close the window that says the plug in can't be found and I have to shut off windows and open it up again. I'm not sure of what a plug in is and where on my computer can I find out this information? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-03, 07:41 PM
Ordinarily, Windows update will enable you to have the latest version of Windows Internet Explorer which should bring the latest versions of the plug ins. Does is say which plugin is missing? These are usually available from websites.

A plug in is a short piece of code called by certain applications in order to run. An example is the Java Runtime Engine or Java Virtual Machine as may be needed to run Java Scripts common to many online games, such as crossword on yahoo.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-03, 08:00 PM
chfite, I called earthlink and was told to download internet explorer 6.0 I went there and tried to download it and the same message came up. first message is the plugin did not initialze properly and the second message was the the plugin was found but an error in the plugin has occured. I don't know where to go from here. Help it doesn't say anything else.

Old 05-22-03, 10:57 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
OK - Now after re-reading your posts, I'm a bit confused, so I am archiving my lengthy explanation of what a plug-in is and substituting this request for more information, so that we can better help get your situation resolved.

What is the name of the program, the card-site is wanting as a plug-in? And in your second post are you saying that you went to download Internet Explorer and received an error, or have you already upgraded your IE and the error is coming from whatever you are clicking on the card-site?

Almost any program can be considered a plug-in or helper app and most any programmer can create one; I don't play cards, games or gamble, but if we had a little more info about what the site or computer wants, I'm sure we can get the problem resolved. And if there is no name visible in the error window, or if there isn't a pointer on the website, such as everywhere that wants to initialize the Acrobat plug-in, you also see a link to download the reader; Try running your mouse over the link and making a note of the extension (.xxx) visible in the statusbar.

Trying to help;
R

Old 05-23-03, 12:38 AM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Yahoo Games offers poker as entertainment only (no actual wagering of "real" money), as does Excite's online games and many other web sites that I believe uses JavaApplets so IE should already support it, as long as JavaApplets is enabled in the web browser. These types also request acceptance to install something on your computer and accept a digital certificate, but I've always clicked "no" yet these games worked anyway. But, as magister stated, without knowing which web site or the plug-in being used, it's difficult to offer suggestions.

*** Edited - SW - Off Topic ***

Good luck!!!

Last edited by SafeWatch; 05-23-03 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-23-03, 02:17 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Based on MsChips input coupled with Chris' post and the fact that a Java applet would be one of the easiest ways for a site to offer games, anyway; I have amended my previous post by offering the following suggestions;

Go up top in your browser and click "Tools/Internet Options" on the menubar and on this first screen, clear your cache by hitting the "Delete Files" button in the section labeled "Temporary Internet Files". Then, while you have "Internet Options" open, click over to the "Security" tab and hit the button labeled "Custom Level".

In the resulting smaller window, scroll down and look for a section labeled "Microsoft VM" and under the "Java Permissions" subheading make certain that anything other than "Disable" is clicked. Supposedly, if you have not installed the Virtual Machine, it won't be listed in the smaller window at all under 6.* but because I, like most have it installed, I don't really know if this is true.

If it is not listed, or if you would like to make certain that you have the newest version and it was updated along with your browser; Go "Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add & Remove Programs", select "Microsoft Internet Explorer" from the list, hit the "Add/Remove" button and on the resulting dialog, select "Add a Component", click "OK" and make certain that "Microsoft Virtual Machine" is in bold type. If it is bold, you have the newest version and if it is not, select it with a click.

And, before you hit "Next" to start the download or "Cancel" your way back out of the setup program because it is bold; Scroll down and make certain that "Macromedia Flash Player" is also bold, because if it isn't a java applet that is giving you trouble, another easy way to run a card game would be by using the "Flash" plug-in which you should find listed under the heading, "Multimedia".

Otherwise, we're back to it possibly being a program which was developed specifically for the site and for that, we would need more information.

Hope this Helps;
R

Old 05-23-03, 07:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It definitely sound like a Java VM issue (or Java being disabled in some way.) What makes me think that is that you say you went to Windows Update to get IE6 and had problems at that site too.

Here is what I would try, go to Security settings and set to Low, then go only to the Windows Update site and see if you can upgrade your IE (of course, you don't want to do a lot of browsing with a Low security setting - just Win Up.)

If none of these suggestions work, please give us more info on the program you are trying to install, the version of IE you have, etc.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-03, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all your replies, The weather was nasty this weekend and my friend invited me out to his beach house so the computer was put on hold. I started doing magisters second post, mind boggling for me and got stuck along the way. I spoke to the person who built the computer for me and he will be coming over today to try to straighten it out. I will keep the board informed. I also may need more info. Thanks again all. Ok, reading Safewatch's post I have internet explorer 5.0 at the moment, the program I was trying to install is a poker.com but I also tried to download a few others.

Old 05-26-03, 09:09 AM
Ok, give this a try. Download IE 6 SP1 from <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1E1550CB-5E5D-48F5-B02B-20B602228DE6&displaylang=en">the MS site here</a>. Install it to update your Internet Exp to 6, this will also install all the Java software for you (make sure you select it to be downloaded). That should take care of it for you. If you're on a dial-up connection, it may take a while.

By using the link above, you don't have to go through Windows Update, which of course, you are also having a problem with. It's a direct link to the download page (you still have to click the Download on the right side.)

Also, I just want to make sure you're not downloading these programs off Kazaa or some other filesharing program. Those programs can be harmful or fatal if opened. Just a word of warning.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-03, 11:25 AM
Safewatch, went to the link and clicked on download and a blank page came up with a tiny box in the top left hand corner with 3 small colored squares, like a chess board.

Old 05-26-03, 12:41 PM
Go to the same link and right-click "Download", then click "Save Target as...". Then save the file to your Desktop or somewhere you can find it easily. Double-click the file after it downloads (this file will download fairly quickly - even on Dial-up), then run the IE setup that follows.

If that doesn't help, I can e-mail the file to you. PM with your e-mail address (or use the E-mail me link in my signature), don't post it on the board.

Old 05-26-03, 06:16 PM
Brandon, thanks for all, I had my computer guy here for over 2 hours. He uploaded, downloaded, cleaned. moved and did a myriad of other things that I had no concept of and he's fast. Anyway I have a bunch of new software I've successfully downloaded a poker program that I wanted. As my wife tells me now, we were missing some component. Well hopefully it's all fixed now and I'll be reading the computer board a little more and try to pick up some of this computer lingo. Thanks again, great board.