IE New Windows

Old 05-26-03, 09:09 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
IE New Windows

Hello, I have an HP 6535 that will use a window that is already open to a site rather than a new window when a link is accessed. My computer at home and the shop will always open a new window regardless of how many windows are already open. I have IE 5.5, Win98se and do have the "Launch New Windows in a Separate Process" checked on the Advanced tab in Internet Options. This works on the other machines. If anyone would know were else I may check for something out of whack on this I would be thankful.......Mike

Old 05-26-03, 09:55 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using IE 6.0 and WinXP, so it may be totally different (I know for one thing, there's no "Launch New Windows in a Separate Process" option in advanced. But, I do have a "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts" option, so I would imagine that is the same thing (figures MS would completely rename it - nothing can be easy.) There must be another setting somewhere that tells new URL's to open in a new window. I would think it would be a Win98 thing, instead of being in IE.

Are you running exactly the same versions of Win98 and IE on the home and shop computers? It may be just a slight incompatibility between Win98 and IE 5.5 somewhere.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-03, 09:20 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: Mike

I happen to be cruising throught the forums and noticed your question. If I understand it correctly, you want to have multiple windows open simultaneously.

Windows can do almost every task in many different ways. I often have multiple windows opened at one time using windows 98 and windows 2000 on the office computer.

I'm sure you know this but for those that may not, my method is to simply change the start {Home} page. I open one and do the online tasks than minimize that window which brings me back to the desk top.

I than right click the big "E" and select properties. Clear out the current home page address and type in the next page. Windows will automatically select any previous web page an auto fill it in for you.

Than click apply and close. Once back on the desk top, click the big "E" again and presto, the new window is now open. The process can be repeated for additional windows.

Depending upon the state of the resources of the computer and other factors determines how many online web pages and other applications can be opened at once.

This method may not be the best way and surely not the only way to have multiple windows opened at once but it works 4me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: