Pop-ups

Old 05-29-03, 07:05 PM
Lascelles
Visiting Guest
Angry Pop-ups

Is there any way to stop these pop-up ads from invading your
space on the web? Someone please help Thanx.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-03, 07:31 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Get a popup-blocker
Search Google.com

Old 05-30-03, 04:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Pop-up Blocker

The problem with most pop-up blockers is that they will also kill any links you hit.

Anyone found a blocker that doesn't also stop links??

fred

Old 05-30-03, 05:31 AM
Pop-up stopper pro, it does well, sometimes you have to deactivate it for site that have pop-up info windows, like at tvguide.com. but all one has to do is click on button on top of browser to deactivate it.

Old 05-30-03, 08:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The only cure-all for pop-ups is the tried and true Power Button

I've never run a pop-up blocker on my computer. I do a lot of surfing and looking around and searching, and I really don't have a problem with pop-ups. I usually just let them sit until I'm done surfing and close everything at one time. The problem with pop-ups is that most of them have more pop-ups built-in to them, so if you close one, you get another one. Why waste your time even recognizing them?

Give some of the blockers suggested a try, but just keep in mind, the more programs you run, the more bogged-down the computer gets.

One more thing, <i>this is not to start a discussion or an argument of any kind</i>, but in reference to the following statement:
Is there any way to stop these pop-up ads from invading your
space on the web?
Pop-ups do not invade your space on the web. To explain: your "space on the web" is your own personal web page. Your "space on the web" has nothing to do with where you surf to. When you surf the web, you are visiting someone elses "space on the web". There is an understanding that you will come across pop-ups. Some people don't like them. If you don't like them, you shouldn't surf the web. True, there is software out there that helps reduce pop-ups, but you simply can't stop them all.

Now, on the other hand, if you are one of the one's that has a "space on the web", you probably want to let others know where to find it. So, what do you do? You submit your address to search engines, you try banner ads, etc, etc, etc. But, you also try some affiliations, you try some traffic building programs, etc. These usually require some kind of pop-up to be placed on your site. Why? Well, to build traffic, you have to give traffic to someone else. So, in closing, pop-ups can be annoying, but they are in no way invasion of anyone's "space on the web."

Now if you want to talk about Spam, that a whole new can of worms

Good luck!

Old 05-30-03, 04:22 PM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
I am using panicware popup stopper pro. I have no problem going to links.

Old 05-31-03, 07:45 AM
I run popup killer, I use the exclude list of sites that I allow pop ups. It's a very short list.

Old 05-31-03, 12:41 PM
jerryjay11
Visiting Guest
Rid Pop-ups

You can also go through your "Control Panel", "Administrative Tools", to "Services" and disable "Messenger" service.

Old 05-31-03, 01:32 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Since this thread keeps popping-up

I guess I'm with everyone else on this matter, if you think it is a problem there are software solutions and though, the solutions may become unavailable at some time in the future due to couple of unrelated court cases that are winding their way through the system; I don't, nor have I ever used a killer and I don't consider them a problem.

Of course, whenever I misspell an url and instead get a squatter's site, I know that I am going to be hit with several useless pop-ups unless I can close the mini-windows before the script for the next pop-up is run; But, I try not to misspell many urls and other than the squatter sites, I really haven't had a problem since those awful "pink" sites were blacklisted into oblivion...

But I know that the single pop-up you get when you visit a weather, news or some other site is helping pay the bills and though I rarely click on them, they don't bother me and I'd much rather have them than be forced to pay a subscription fee which is the only alternative to being ad-supported; Once and a while, I go and close the pop-ups, but I don't sweat their existence because they are keeping the site free and it should also be noted that some sites will already allow you to pay a membership fee and then you won't get any advertising, because once again, that is really the only true alternative.

My 2&frac12;&cent;;
R

Old 06-04-03, 10:13 AM
dave31175
Visiting Guest
Many non-Internet Explorer browsers have built-in popup stopping -- <a href="http://www.ruihehang.com/myie2/html_en/home.htm">MyIE2</a>, <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/">Mozilla</a>, <a href="http://www.opera.com">Opera</a>, and my personal favorite, <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/">Firebird</a>. I haven't received any popups in a long time except for those very rare occasions when I open Internet Explorer. You don't need a separate popup stopping program, you just need a capable browser.

* Edited - 6/5/03 - Added Hyperlinks *

Last edited by SafeWatch; 06-05-03 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 10:52 AM
If you like using internet explorer just install <a href="http://www.flashpeak.com">Flashpeak's slimbrowser</a>, it piggy backs over internet explorer is 10 x faster to load and has a built in pop up stopper, I haven't seen a pop since I installed it and it works great. (oh and its freeware too so thats a bonus)

* Edited - 6/5/03 - Added hyperlink *

Last edited by SafeWatch; 06-05-03 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-19-03, 03:41 PM
Lanny
Visiting Guest
Panicware has Pop-up stopper also ATT & Sprint incorporate it with their ISP service. Try CNet it used to be free download. You might think about using SPYBOT if your interested in who's snooping into your puter.

Old 06-19-03, 05:26 PM
galacticroot
Visiting Guest
Proxies

I'd recommend you use an ad-blocking proxy server.

I use middleman, which runs on linux. For windows, a good one is Proximitron.

I've used both of those, and there were no problems with them. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a popup. They also block most banner ads, and invasive scripts, etc...

They are very customizable(if you know what you're doing).

Middleman is more advanced, but you need to understand REs and stuff like that to configure it. It has some bugs, though.

The Proximitron is a tried-and-proven program, but its not as powerful.

Old 06-20-03, 10:41 PM
heliotrope
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Don't disable Messenger, disable the messages.

A very simple program; you start it, and forget it.

Shoot The Messenger

This only works for those grey messages that pop up when you're running Windows or MSN Messenger. I use Panicware's "Pop-Up Stopper" for every other pop-up/pop-under. My ISP offered the full version for free...integrates into your browser and works great!

Rose

Old 06-21-03, 09:02 AM
Why use a program if it's not needed, it just something more to use up resources

No reason to use up resouces on a program thats not even needed.

Old 06-21-03, 09:09 AM
You're right. It is important to keep popups from bogging down your computer. I had not thought about it from the perspective of using my resources. It is like spam stealing bandwidth and drive space.

Old 06-21-03, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Re: Don't disable Messenger, disable the messages.

Originally posted by heliotrope
A very simple program; you start it, and forget it.

Shoot The Messenger

This only works for those grey messages that pop up when you're running Windows or MSN Messenger.
Rose
On the topic of unnecessary programs being run - those annoying Windows Messaging pop-ups can be easily stopped by just disabling Windows Messenger. Start/Run and type "net stop messenger". Or, if you don't ever want it to run again, disable it in Services.

For home users this program is totally unnecessary.

Old 06-21-03, 08:00 PM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
I downloaded some things off the internet on my work computer. Now every time I load the internet I get at least 2 pop-ups. No matter what my homepage is. It seems like no matter what the page I get a pop-up or two every so many minutes.

Even when I am doing my work and looking at a tracking page for UPS, I still get pop-ups. Could it have anything to do with the Internet controls something I downloaded changed in my computer?

Old 06-21-03, 08:44 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
fjclaus; It sounds as if you have some spyware/adware afflicting your machine;
See this post in the <A HREF="http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=403527#post404377">FAQ</A> for more info and a remedy for the situation.

Hope this Helps;
R

Old 06-24-03, 03:47 PM
las
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Pop Ups..?

Try downloading a free version of
www.ad-aware.com
hope this helps with those pop ups