Unable to access Extended Logical drives

Old 05-30-03, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unable to access Extended Logical drives

I have a wierd situation and it's happening to me and my friend so it may be caused by a virus or ???

Both of us all of a sudden lost access to our extended aprtitions, the C: drive is still fine but the D: and E: our missing.

I managed to recover mine using Acornis recovery expert but we cannot recover his since he can no longer get into windows.

The partitions till show up in Fdisk bu we cannot access them from DOS.

I used certain partition tools (aefdisk and part243) and both recognize the partitions are there and are valid and should be showing up however they are not.

I loaded linux on his system and we were able to access the partitions without a hitch from linux. I tried restoring the MBR using fdisk /MBR but it made no difference. is there anything I can do?

Old 05-30-03, 09:27 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That definitely sounds like a virus. As a matter of fact, I want to say someone else has had a very similar problem recently, but I don't remember the outcome (try a search to see if you can find it.)

I don't suppose he has a recovery disk or anything (I assume that would have been tried already)? No backups, no images, nothing? It sounds like those partitions are lost now. You could try using Partition Magic or something, but you say you've tried some other utilities and they see the parts.

Did you check the Config.sys (or is it in Autoexec.bat - been so long) for the Last Drive line?

If you can access the partitions through Linux, I would just recover any important information and delete the parts and rebuild them. Format and be done with it. At least that way, he gets a fresh OS. It sounds like you've tried everything else.

Good luck!

Old 05-30-03, 09:38 AM
Thanks I found something that might help editing the system.ini and changing the shell to progman. The virus that cuase this type of behavior runs as c:\windows\system\explorer.exe and replaces c:\windows\explorer.exe byt getting into windows I can delete it and restore the corrupted explorer.exe with one fomr the instalation disc, I believe the partition issue is seperate and when I get into windows I can use my windows based partition recovery that saved me.

The worst part is we both run antivirus software (norton for me, mcaffee for him) and both are kept well up to date.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: