ram

Old 05-30-03, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
ram

Hello
I have an H.P. pavillion 6630 with a celeron processor and 64 mb ram-I run win 98 se. My scanner is also an H.P. product= 4570c.
H.P. said the scanner's minimum requirements are celeron processor and 64 mb ram but there may be conflicts and recommends pentium 3 and 128 mb ram.
My Question is, do you think if I added 128 mb ram to this
machine that the scanner will run ok or is the processor too limited and I'm wasting my time?
Again thanx for your help.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-03, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure but I think a celeron and P3 are either the same, or close. Either way, adding more memory should be sufficient.

I'm running close to the same setup that you are (celeron) and have added tons of things like two printers, cameras, hard drives, zip drives, etc and didn't have any problems after up~ing the memory to 256 M (max for my machine).

Extra ram is always (to me anyway) the first upgrade to be made to a computer. More ram will make things faster (programs load so much faster). Memory is so inexpensive these days, so it can be done easily.

Kay

Old 05-30-03, 12:38 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
I can't tell from your post, if you are experiencing problems now or if by "run ok" you mean not broken and/or faster. But, scanners generally put the picture in RAM, Virtual Memory and/or a temp file when it first arives, because you haven't named or saved the image, so the software doesn't know where to put it or what to do with it. So yes, more memory should make it perform better and you already have the minimum processor, so as Kay indicated, you have no problems there...

Peace Out;
R

Old 05-30-03, 01:52 PM
Volkspeed
Visiting Guest
Adding more RAM should be sufficient for what you are trying to do. The scanner will not add that much of a load to the computer. The hardest thing the computer has to do when hooked up with the scanner is the rendering and transferring of the final image to your hard drive. Unless you are scanning 1200 dpi images, you should fine with 128Mb of ram.

I use Crucial for my Ram needs.

Old 05-30-03, 02:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First of all, a Celeron processor is <i>not</i> the same as a PIII. The Celeron is a scaled-down processor made specifically for low-end systems (IE: the Pavillion.) That being said, if you haven't had any problems as of yet, you shouldn't have any problems with more RAM. More RAM never hurts. Do take note though, that your system only supports up to 256Mb of SDRAM.

* Edited - Correction *

By adding 128Mb of RAM, you will have 192Mb, which is pretty close to max. SDRAM is getting pretty cheap (<a href="http://www.tigerdirect.com">TigerDirect.com</a> has 128Mb of PC133 for $15), so you could essentially max out the system pretty cheap. BTW, your system uses PC100, but PC100 is running about $25/each, and the only difference is that the PC133 will revert to PC100 when installed in your system.

Other than adding RAM, there's not much point in upgrading an HP (or Compaq, or Dell, or any "name brand" for that matter). If you're going to do that, just get a good bare-bones system and put in your HD.

Good luck!

Last edited by SafeWatch; 05-30-03 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-30-03, 04:50 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
I may have missed something in the post.

SDRam doesn't require installation in pairs. That was the older SIMM style.
SDRam can be installed in single modules.

Old 05-30-03, 05:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You're right, I was thinking SIMM, but you're right DIMM does not require 2 chips. My mistake.

Old 05-30-03, 05:08 PM
ram

Hi to all who answered this post and thank you for your help.
I am going to purchase one module with 128 mb ram and install it per directions. I was told to exercise caution re static by touching the case first and frequently and staying off a carpet etc.
I've gotten a lot of advise so I guess I better just do it and see.

Old 06-02-03, 04:47 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
ram

bear in mind that your system may not recognise the 128 stick in the slot. You may have to buy two 64mg sticks as celeron may have a limit per slot. (my old one does)

Old 06-02-03, 06:08 AM
ram

Hi all
I now have 192 mb ram adding the 128 module and all is well. I had to take out the ac power box to get the module in as I could not get the floppy drive out-I now Have directions to do it.
Again,
Pete

Old 06-02-03, 07:53 AM
Strange how different companies set their cases up. I have to remove the cpu fan to put the memory stick in that lives closest to it.

I'm sorry it was so hard to get to the memory slots. How is it going with the extra memory? If you would like to verify that Windows see's it, you can right click on My Computer and choose Properties. It should give you other information, like what version of windows you're running, etc., but toward the bottom of this information it will show you how much ram you have installed. It should show the 192, if not, you may have to swap the order of the sticks or try one by itself. Those don't sound like fun options considering that you have to remove things in the case to get to the sticks.

Let us know,

Thanks,

Kay