Spell Check Error in Microsoft Outlook

Old 05-31-03, 04:12 PM
Sister Honey
Visiting Guest
Spell Check Error in Microsoft Outlook

When trying to use spell check in Microsoft Outlook Express, a error message comes up that says "an error occured while checking spelling"; and another one says "The spell check on this document was halted. Do you want to send anyway"?
We have done "everything" that it says to do in the "Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 224176 and Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 241485 but to no avail!!
What next? I need "step by step" help and plain english please, ha!! It is very agrivating when it doesn't work. Thanks so much for help, Sister Honey

Old 06-01-03, 12:36 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
It is my understanding that OE does not come with a dictionary and instead it shares one with another MS program, such as Word or Works. There may be other dictionaries available as a download, but question number one would have to be whether you have a dictionary installed and/or did it ever work?

If you have a dictionary, personally I would suggest several legs of the same journey which I will list below, though in theory you could pick and choose some, but all may be necessary and since I am putting them in a logical order, you might want to stick to the script unless someone comes along with a better idea.
  1. Reinstall your dictionary source. (Word or Works) Don't delete the one you have just run the program install back over it and choose to not overwrite all, when prompted (Basically, you are reconnecting the wires)
  2. Update your dictionary source; Go to microsoft.com/word or microsoft.com/works, click on "Downloads and follow it out to update your product.
  3. Update your Internet Explorer (microsoft.com/ie)
Of course, simply updating one or both of the programs may be sufficient and if you wanted to start anywhere besides the beginning, I would start with IE; But, unless somebody has a better idea, all may be necessary and the above order would be the way I would proceed.

And, all of this would be dependent on whether you have a dictionary installed and my understanding being correct. Post back, if you need more and watch this spot in case, someone comes along with a better idea;

Hope this Helps;
R

Old 06-01-03, 01:01 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
PS) You could allow the install to overwrite when you are reinstalling your dictionary source; This, followed by steps 2 and 3 would surely fix your problem; But, if you make that choice, be sure to archive any templates to which you may have made changes and any macros you may have installed; Plus, you should be aware that you will need to go back and redo any setting you may have changed, since the initial install.

If your dictionary source is the same as the day you took it out of the box, you might want to make this choice; But, if you have worked hard to personalize your product, simply "reconnecting the wires" may be sufficient.

Good Luck;
R

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: