DVD RW not being detected on bootup

Old 06-02-03, 04:58 PM
neetnut
Visiting Guest
Unhappy DVD RW not being detected on bootup

I recently installed a DVDRW drive my computer. I have set it up as slave and my CD-Rom is Master on Secondary IDE.
When starting the computer (bootup) the system freezes when trying to "Detecting IDE Drives.....", the only way to get the computer to finish loading is by opening the DVDRW drive, at that point the system finds the drive and continues booting. The same thing happens when WinXP starts loading. I have downloaded all new drives for the device and everythinng works perfect except for the booting up part. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-03, 06:24 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
That is very strange. I have no idea so Im shooting in the dark here.

Check the cables. Be sure they are seated correctly and firmly. It is easy sometimes in a dark hole to miss-align some pins on certain drives.

If you check it all over and are sure it is connected right then I would try,

1) remove the DVD drive and see if it boots without problems
2) Re-install DVD try to boot
If problem is still there
3) remove CD drive and see if it boots
If problem still occurs
4) maybe replace DVD
if problem still occurs
5) go to walmart and get a cheap .22. I think 3 shots in the cpu should finish it off

Really, try #1 through 4, hold off on #5

I personally have never seen such a thing so I will keep an eye on this to see what others say.

Michael

Old 06-02-03, 06:59 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, if you have only the 2 drives (Hard drive and DVD drive) then you should put the Hard drive on IDE 1 and the DVD on IDE 2, this will make your hard drive much faster, as well as the DVD (not as important.) If you do that, then make both drives Master drives. If you have other Hard drives, make them slaves on IDE 1. If you have a CD drive or other removable media drive, make it slave on IDE 2.

If you simply can't do that (I can't imagine why - other than maybe not having the cable? Get one) then the other possibility is to flash the BIOS. It's very possible that your BIOS is not correctly recognizing your DVD drive - very likely if your have an older computer (older meaning anything older than about 2 years.) To flash the BIOS, go to the BIOS manufacturer's website (you should see it when you start your computer - first or second screen - Phoenix, Award, etc.) and download their BIOS utility. <font color=red>Make sure you get the correct BIOS and that you flash your's correctly - if not, you may not be restarting your computer ever again.</font> Not to scare you, it's just a fact. If that doesn't work, then you probably have some incompatibility problems somewhere, or possibly a bad DVD drive. Talk to the tech support where you bought the drive, see if there are any issues with your hardware.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-03, 08:07 PM
T
A RW drive (CDRW, DVDRW) should never be setup as a slave to another CDROM drive. Will the computer boot with the DVDRW as the master on the second channel? If you have only 1 hard drive I would move the existing CDROM to channel 1 as a slave and leave the DVDRW as a master on channel 2. Make sure the cables in the system are not cable select. Compaq loves to do this.

Old 06-02-03, 08:51 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
There is a remote chance that your DVDRW is incompatible with your system. I would think it would be more likely if you have a slower system.

So maybe if you let us know the system you have and the dvd model it might help.

I think trinitro's setup is the best way to go in your situation.
Putting two CD/DVD RW drives on one channel, I don't know technically why but it causes weird things to happen. It usually leads to bad CD/DVD burnings too.

Michael

Old 06-03-03, 06:47 PM
neetnut
Visiting Guest
DVD RW

This is how the system is set up. I have a AMD Athlon 1800+XP cpu,with 512mb Ram, MSI Mother Board dated 2/2003. Hard Drive WD 120 gig (on IDE 1/ Master), CD-RW (IDE 2/master), HP DVD-RW 100i (IDE 2/Slave). Operatering System is Windows XP Home Ed. All instructions say to set up as slave on secondary IDE and CD-rom set up as Master on secondary IDE.
When I first turn on the computer it stops loading at "Detecting IDE Devices..." No hard drives or anything are loaded until I open the DVD drive and close it. Then the computer finds the Drives and finishes booting up. When the Windows XP screen appears the same same thing, the bar that shows Windows is loading stops moving. So once again I open the DVD drive and close it and Windows XP finishes. Once XP is up and running the DVD works great. It shows up in My Computer and under System Manager. I have spoke to Tech support for the product and they can't seem to help me, they say to seems to be unknown problem. The extended warrenty does me no good, since it is walk in repair. The nearest repair support office is 1 1/2 hours drive away. I have asked to ship the product but they don't except shipment for repair. Like I said everything works fine once Windows is up and running. I have also try loading it without CD-RW and same thing happens.
Can anyone think of any more suggestions? Thanks!

Old 06-03-03, 07:43 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you gone into CMOS to setup the BIOS? It sounds like you're just having detection issues when the system boots. If you get the BIOS to recognize the drive, you may be ok. Something to try anyway.

I would still say check your MoBo's manufacturer for a BIOS flash.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-03, 09:16 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
If that doesn't help, try moving the CD to the slave of IDE 1.
I know they say to hook it up the other way. Hooking a CD drive with a HD can make the HD slow down, but right now you are trying to troubleshoot. This involves moving stuff around until you discover the problem.

So pulling the CD and running it with just a HD and DVD will tell you if there is some problem with the DVD and CD on the same channel. If so then putting one one IDE 1 will solve it though it is not the most desired.

Is the DVD's activity light running when it stops and you have to open the tray? Does it continue if you open the CD's tray instead?

Michael