Old 06-05-03, 06:47 PM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
NEtwork Card or not?

IBM THINKPAD A20m 2628-12U

Celeron : 500mhz
Ram : 128mb
WIndows 2k Pro :

ok heres my problem, i can't seem to get a LAN connection to try to connect to my router. there is a LAN Connector in the back and i have the CAT5 cable connected. but whats weird is that the modem looks like a 56k/NIC in one so what do i do to get my laptop to go into LAN mode.

There is something in the Hardware List called a PCMIA Texas instrument. is that the nIC? im confused plz help...thanks!

i have 3 other computers successfully connected.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-03, 04:46 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have a LAN connector you have a LAN chip. If installed correctly that adapter will show up in Device Manager under Network Adapters. If it's not listed then first you should check in the BIOS to make sure it's enabled. If it is listen, then you need to go to control panel, networking, then setup the network. Does your router use DHCP or static IP? The system may be configured with a different set of static IP also.

Old 06-06-03, 07:55 AM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
OK first , my router use's DCHP.

And so far nothing worked, i looked in the control panel nothing under network adapter like the rest of my computers have,

also in the bios it says

"Mac Addresss (internet LAN ) : Not Applicable

then under network : RPL TOKEN RING SPEED (16)

Then i also something in under Networking (still in the BIOS here)

it Said : MINI PCI in notebook

so i tried installing a new network Adapter and found the Token ring drivers but when i select one of them it says it cant find the settings for this adapter.

Old 06-06-03, 09:34 AM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Make sure you have the network set to the same group as the rest.

Old 06-06-03, 09:54 AM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
The lights on the back of the NIC card arnt even lighting up, i think im just going to buy a new one , maybe a PCMIA instead of trying to use this 56k/eithernet thing.

Old 06-06-03, 12:28 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That model of IBM Thinkpad came preloaded with Windows 2000 and had an ethernet/modem card in the communications bay, as you have described. The ethernet card has an Intel chip set, and the modem card a Lucent chipset.

But .... if you cannot get it to power up (have you pulled out the mini-PCI card and reseated it?) then you'll need to go out and get yourself a new NIC card.

Token ring is not what you want. That's an obsolete competitor to the ethernet standard and would not work at all in talking to an ethernet switch/router. But the mini-PCI comms card is definitely ethernet. I don't know what your BIOS is doing with a Token Ring entry in there.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-03, 12:28 PM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
OS Network settings?

Under Win98 I've always had to ditz around with network settings: installing Client for MS Networking and netbeui, etc. Could those settings be the missing link?

Old 06-06-03, 06:02 PM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
its ok, i ordered a NIC for my Notebook. Thanks for Trying to help but i just have time to play with this with my lan Party Next week i'd rather own one that i know works.