slow computer

Old 06-06-03, 05:50 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry slow computer

Hello Folks, The last three weeks my computer has been running at a snails pace. I have a compaq presario with a mmx pentium. I have cleaned out every file I didn't need and delete it and emptied the recycle bin. I have about 5 icons in systray. I tried to get rid of them but I can't find an msconfig file(as suggested in another post). I hit the control/alt/delete to see what was running, but I don't know if I need them or not. I ran the compaq defrag and it said my drive was only 1% and didn't need it now. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks in advance Eric

Old 06-06-03, 06:40 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Take a look at the FAQ at the top of Computers and try some of the suggestions there - including the Scandisk/Defrag and Adware/Spyware removers. I believe it will also tell you how to run MSCONFIG.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-03, 08:33 PM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
have you installed anything new in the past 3 weeks? have you upgraded any programs?

Old 06-07-03, 09:10 AM
F
Hello Folks, No new programs before the problem started. Since the problem began I downloaded the latest netscape in case the old one got corrupted. The F.A.Q. at the top of the page was for the Froums in general. Thanks in advance for your help. Eric

Old 06-07-03, 10:25 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think you may be looking at the wrong FAQ, try this link: Computers FAQ

Old 06-08-03, 07:20 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Check the START button, PROGRAMS, START-UPS and see if there is anything in there.

I would scandisk and defrag no matter what.
It could be a program taking to much control.

If it has been years since the last windows install maybe consider a clean install. But that would be the last choice.

Michael

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: