Networking

Old 06-08-03, 12:45 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Networking

I have 2 PC'S. 1 running Windows 2000 Pro and the other running Windows 98. I networked them together using a hub. The pc running 2000 pro can not connect to the internet but the one running 98 can. I've tried putting in an IP address manually and letting it obtain automatically. If anyone could give me some ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Old 06-08-03, 09:08 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How are you connected to the internet? Which computer do you use? Do you have always-on or dial-up?

I'm assuming you have DSL or Cable, since you were talking about using IP's. If that's the case, we need to know how the modem is connected to your hardware.

Write back and let us know.

Old 06-08-03, 09:19 AM
C
I took 2000 pro off and installed 98. Still can't get it to work. I have Cable. It's an external modem, ethernet card in each pc. Modem is connected to the hub, cat 5 running from each ethernet to the hub. If you need more info let me know.

Old 06-08-03, 10:12 AM
zzzap
Visiting Guest
You may not be able to obtain an IP address on both computers, because you haven't paid for an extra from your ISP. A hub does not assign IP addresses. If you want to connect both computers to the internet without paying extra, then you should get a router. It acts as the DHCP, and will assign IP addresses to all of your computers, with only one IP address from your ISP.

Old 06-08-03, 10:27 AM
C
With the ISP I deal with they allow you to have 3 computers networked with paying for an additonal IP address

Old 06-08-03, 11:20 AM
C
If all three computers were connected to cable modem via the hub, then restarting them in turn would produce addresses for each of them. I would be willing to bet that that is not the case. The cable line is probably getting one address from the DHCP server at the cable service.

You are still going to need a router to handle the interface with the cable. The router will get an address from the cable company, it will assign internal addresses to your internal network's computers and they will be happy. Most routers use NAT to handle the internal computers as well as providing some degree of protection from hackers, since they cannot see into the network from the outside.

To change computers on the cable modem, it will be necessary to restart the modem, then the computer so the modem can track the MAC address of the NIC in the individual computer.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-03, 01:14 PM
C
I did a reset on the modem and got it to work.

Thanks to everybody who helped me through this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: