home cable network

Old 06-08-03, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home cable network

my computer is hooked to the internet through a motorola surfboard and cable connection. my kids have a computer in the bonus room that has no internet connection, and depriving them of the cartoon network online or some other life supporting webpage has been called child abuse by some! can i get another surfboard from the local electronics store? will it work with out a whole lot of issues?

Old 06-08-03, 01:51 PM
zzzap
Visiting Guest
You have a couple of options. I recommend that you buy a router, which runs around $50, and allows you to have multiple computers sharing one internet connection. You can then either run a cat5 cable up to the room with the other computer, or you can buy a router that integrates a wireless access point, and a wireless PCI card for both computers. If you bought another cable modem, you would have to pay for another internet account from you ISP, so that's not a good option. If you bought a hub, you would have to pay for additional IP addresses, so that's not a good option either. Get the router, as it is the best option. Then decide if you want wired or wireless. If you don't want to run wire, then wireless is the way to go.

Old 06-08-03, 02:08 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plus, the router would provide you with some protection from hackers through its use of Network Address Translation to provide addresses to the computers on the internal network.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: