Wondering about IE not able to log into what seems to be secure servers

Old 06-08-03, 07:53 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Wondering about IE not able to log into what seems to be secure servers

I have a customer I am about to go to and wanted opinions and ideas before I left.

She is using win98se and after, she thinks installing IE6, they lost the capabilities to log into their bank. I guess secure server.
I told her to try rolling it back, she went back to 5.1 and it still wont log in.
I also suggested trying to use Netscape, but she says it wont work through that either. She called the bank and they said everything is right on their side.

I have seen the same problem on Win XP with IE 6 but never before on 98se. I was unable to solve it though later was told that the only known solution was to install windows back over it for XP.

I am thinking there has to be a better way. I also can't walk in and spend an hour installing win98se over her existing installation if it doesn't help.

Anyone got ideas?

Michael

Old 06-08-03, 08:10 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She may be running some anti-virus, firewall, or such that is blocking setting a cookie or something along that line?

Old 06-08-03, 08:19 PM
tae
And we get how much of your professional service fee for solving your problems?

Old 06-08-03, 09:19 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Normally I would think so, but she said the only thing she could possibly think was changed was the upgrade to IE 6.
So any anti-virus or firewall was running when it worked before.

Im also thinking it may be more than just IE since she says Netscape wont either.

Michael

Old 06-09-03, 12:51 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
I have just spent 5 hours working on the customer's system.
No sollution.

I could access secure servers but not her banks. Also not I couldn't access adobe.com either.

When is microsoft going to fix this problem. People are having problems like this with IE6, even when they go back to 5.

Michael

Old 06-09-03, 01:36 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Who said it's a MS problem? It may have nothing at all to do with the client, it may be an incompatibility in the server. It may be the type of dial-up being used. It may be several things. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying MS is perfect (by any stretch of the imagination), I'm just saying - until you know the solution (or the problem, for that matter), there's no possible way to know the source.

Good luck!

BTW, didn't you say that the customer is having the same problem in Netscape? And don't say that it only started happening when they installed IE6, there's no possible way to know that (the customer may always be right, but they are often mistaken too.)

Old 06-09-03, 02:00 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
I assume it is MS since it is a problem that occurs when customers download and install IE6. The one this post about even went back to IE5 but still wouldn't work.

I have seen a lot of forum posts on this type of problem and so far the only solution that works for everyone seems to be a complete windows install.

If it was just one or two people I would think it was the problem with their stuff, but not with as many people as I have heard about. It almost always starts the same way, upgraded to IE6.

Since IE is so integrated with Windows what effects IE can effect all of windows.

Michael

Old 06-09-03, 03:02 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Every stat that I see says that more than 50% are using IE6 and though there were some probs with the intial releases and based on anecdotal evidence these probs may be exaggerated in Win98; But, if there were a huge problem remaining, one would think that this forum would know about it...

Offhand, I'm with everyone else in that we don't have a clue; But, I did notice that you haven't shared the form in which her log-in fails; Does she get a 404? Does the Certificate come back as invalid? Or is it a simple; "Access Denied"? I'm not really sure if this info would help, but it may...

Otherwise and literally off the top of my head; Maybe they use a cookie for verification and there is a prob with her cookie, if so deleting and recreating it may be a solution; Also, most of the banks that I deal with give you three tries and you're out, so if she is actually entering a pword and has tried repeatedly, perhaps their security is denying her access...

Can she get to any other secure sites? If none are available to her; Send her to homedepot.com or somewhere similar, throw something into the shopping cart and hit the "Checkout" button which will redirect to a secure server...

Good Luck;
R

Old 06-09-03, 03:10 PM
E
Computers

This is not a solution, just more info that may help you diagnose the problem.

Could not download updates from McAfee. After many hours on the chat line with a number of suggested interventions, McAfee's final solution was to delete IE 5.X and reinstall using IE 6. Did not work. Now I cannot activate IE at all.

Netscape cannot handle downloads from McAfee. They sent me a patch. It didn't work.

So. My question is: Is it an IE problem, McAfee problem or a Windows problem.

I hate computers!

Old 06-09-03, 03:12 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
When I said I see it on forum, I was referring to some tech forums on another site. If you do a google search you can find lots of information about the problem, very little on solutions. The solutions given rarely work.

I have done the cookie and temp bits.

It returns a 404 error after, from what I can see, not sending or receiving any information from the net.

The customer can log into all her other secure areas, cable company, CC.
I even went to my own bank on it.

I have seen some references to problems in IE with thawte servers.
So obviously IE's problem in only effected by certain types of secure servers.

Michael

Old 06-09-03, 03:59 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
OK - This is not exactly the interface that I was looking, but you try to find an address listed in a single usenet post that you recall from the period when IIS was still in beta; Didn't find the post, but this addy should do for now; http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/.../default.shtml

The above utility should identify the server software, since you have apparently found a reference to an incompatability; Though, it will only work on non-secure urls and you'll be stuck trying to extrapolate, plus a couple of quick tests reveal that not everyone chooses to share all of the info; But, if there were a problem with IE6, it should not effect Netscape because it is standalone, anyway;

As for IE6 flaws, there were some posts on this board from a while back, but they don't really exist anymore and because of this board's focus and the supremacy of IE6; I can only assume that they have been addressed; Though, I could be wrong; But since you started this thread thinking you may need to reinstall, perhaps a short quote from Kenny Rogers might be appropriate; "You've got to know when to hold them; You've got to know when the fold them..."

Otherwise, if I think of anything else, I'll let you know...

Good Luck;
R

SideNote) The joke was that MS was trumpeting IIS as the future, but at the time were running Apache...

Old 06-09-03, 08:35 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Well, I can tell ya' IE6 still has plenty of bugs.

It can effect NS by changing windows.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: