HP 3 in 1

Old 06-08-03, 08:25 PM
Jim Johnson
Visiting Guest
HP 3 in 1

I have an HP PSC 750 Print, Scan, Copy. After I turn it on during warm up the copy and scan mechanism starts making a chattering noise like it is trying to dock and can't. Once in a while it will work, but after sitting a while the same thing starts over again. Anyone have an idea what might be the problem. I don't get any error mesages just the noise and warming up on the screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-03, 04:14 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
most scanners always(?) make a noise when energized. it may be just "initializing" itself. some of them have a locking mechanism that you use when moving it to keep the scanning mechanism from sliding around, be sure it's fully unlatched (if you have one.)
if it's not working make sure your drivers are up to date and be sure your bios allows the ports to be used for scanning. you didn't mention your operating system and is it connected to a USB port?

Old 06-09-03, 01:26 PM
Jim Johnson
Visiting Guest
I am using win XP Pro. It is connected to a USB port. I downloaded the latest drivers from the HP site and installed. This seems to only happen when the unit is first turned on. When this happens the light will move out about 1.5 inches and go back. It will do this about 3 or 4 times and then start making a loud clicking sound for about 30 or 40 seconds and then give an error message "scanner failed". It seems like if I can start a job whether it be scan or copy it will work fine. I have just scanned and copied some pictures and documents and everything is fine. It sounds like it is having trouble initializing the scanner. Do you have any other suggestions.
Thanks

Jim

Old 06-09-03, 01:37 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
I would re install it.
Unplug the USB, then remove the scanner using the control panel's add/remove. Then restart windows and plug the USB in. It will see it then install the drivers.

I have an HP 3 in 1 with a USB plug. It seems touchy sometimes and requires re install. But usually it is fine.

Old 06-09-03, 01:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately with scanners and such (especially HP/Compaq/etc.) there's really not much that can be done. They're just not worth having serviced. It's much cheaper to just replace them. If it's under warranty, talk to HP about it. If it's not, use it 'til it wears out and replace it. If it's not really affecting the copy/scan/print functionality, I would leave it alone. It's obviously something inside the printer itself, not something to do with the computer or drivers/software. So, there's really not much you can do about it. I've heard good and bad about HP 3-in-1's, I've never been really impressed with them. They tend to be "cheap" and things like this happen often.

Again, if it's not affecting performance, you're better off just leaving it be. Just make sure you're either ready with a back-up, or at least know what you're going to buy next (I wouldn't make it an HP .)

Good luck!

Old 06-09-03, 08:21 PM
Jim Johnson
Visiting Guest
What would you consider a good 3 in 1 machine for home use since I may be in the market soon?

Jim

Old 06-09-03, 08:30 PM
Honestly? None of them. Simply put, a 3-in-1 is not worth the money or the time. If you want to do it right, buy separate components. A copy/fax/printer is one thing, but you just can't beat a good flatbed scanner. I bought an Acer for about $60 almost 3 years ago. Still runs great today. It's even a parallel (just before the USB's came down to a reasonable price.) If you really want to do it right, get a good printer. Get a good fax machine. And get a good flatbed scanner.

In other words, I can't recommend a good 3-in-1 (4-in-1/all-in-one) device because I simply don't use them. All I can say is, do your research, look up the hardware sites and read the reviews before you purchase anything else.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-03, 08:52 PM
tae
I have the hp officejet v40xi and love it, but i also have a visioneer 5800 usb flatbed scanner, and a couple other printers. the 3 in 1 or 4 in 1(like mine) are great, but if i want to scan off a book, i have to use the flatbed(it wont fit through the little slot! ) Guess it all depends on your applications.

Old 06-10-03, 03:55 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
with winxp you should install the drivers first, reboot, then plug in your unit in the USB port. if i have problems with any device that i install, i try NOT using the manufaturer's drivers and use the winxp driver as a second option.
re-installing may be your best option. try this: remove ALL of the programs associated with your 3-in-1, unplug the USB cable, then reboot. after you have rebooted, plug your printer in and wait a few seconds. winxp should say it has recognized your device. when it's gone thru all that, then reboot again and listen for that noise. remember, you are only using winxp drivers and NOT the drivers on the disk. theoretically, this will tell you if it's a device issue (mechanical) or a driver issue if you still get all that noise when activated.

Old 06-10-03, 07:00 AM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Normally I would agree that getting each component separately is better since if one breaks the others aren't effected.

But

I was given a HP v40 3 in 1 and I love it. Saves space, works well.
One point not made in favor of 3 in 1s is they aren't very expensive so instead of spending $100 for a scanner, $100 for a printer, and $100+ for a fax machine, you can spend $100- on a 3 in 1. If it brakes after 3 years you have saved quite a bit of money. Plus no joggling with programs to get them to talk to each other.
Put your papers in the scan/fax tray, dial the number and hit the button. It faxes.

I still think if you have space and plenty of money you may be better off getting each part but I still love the 3 in 1.

Michael

Old 06-10-03, 07:58 AM
After I turn it on during warm up the copy and scan mechanism starts making a chattering noise like it is trying to dock and can't
This would suggest that the problem has absolutely nothing to do with the drivers. All the drivers do is translate the printed material from Windows to the printer in a format the printer can understand and use. True, there is extra software installed to make the printer clean the heads, read the scanned copy, etc. etc. etc. But, upon warm-up/startup, the drivers have nothing to do with what's going on in the printer. The printer's on-board BIOS "boots" and initializes the printer - that could involve warm-up, if the printer has been down for a while; it could involve a cartridge cleaning; it could involve a self-test; it could literally involve hundreds of processes that the computer and the drivers have nothing to do with. One of these processes is obviously a test or warm-up of the scan mechanism - which is not working properly. Now, my assumption is that since you have no problems after the initial boot-up, that there is something faultly in the on-board BIOS program - or maybe it's supposed to do that (I highly doubt it.) It could be that the printer is being shut-down improperly (do you use a power strip and just turn-off everything from it?) It could be that the final power-down process is not working properly, and therefore the power-up process is confused at startup. It could be several things - one thing I can assure you - it's not the drivers. Especially since everything works fine after the initial boot process.

As for the separate components, sorry I didn't make myself clear on that. When I mentioned getting my scanner for $60 my point is that separate components are not that much more expensive these days. Scanners for less than $50 (good ones at that.) Printers for free (with purchase, of course - and not good ones usually.) 3-in-1's are ok. But for a good one, you're going to spend some cash - and if you want it to work right, you'll have to get a good one.

Good luck!

Old 06-10-03, 06:50 PM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
i found this :
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/documen...bpu06191&cc=us
at the hp web site for your scanner/printer, also there is a patch and new drivers for winxp, read what they say about your issue. hope this helped.

Last edited by maadi_griffin; 06-11-03 at 05:45 AM.