Home Entertainment Server

Old 06-09-03, 10:30 AM
timgeorge
Visiting Guest
Home Entertainment Server

As I'm sure most of you do, I've got a huge CD collection that dates back to college. Two key problems to a big collection are 1) storing and keeping track of the disks and 2) keeping them in playable condition (i have a two-year old).

I'd like to build a home entertainment server to store all of my digital media, both CD and DVD, that can than be accessed around the house. (Once I figure out the audio side I'll worry about the DVD's). My thought was to get a wireless router for the networking and have "dumb terminals" at each of the stereos.

Has anyone done this, or something similar, in their homes?
What hardware/software is out there for this?
Does a wireless network have the bandwidth for streaming audio?
What is the best "affordable" solution?

I know this is a big question, but any advice to get me started would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-03, 10:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great idea! But, I'm thinking it's more pertaining to computers than Home Automation. So, I'm going to copy this post over to computers. There are some very knowledgeable (and bored) people over there that will have many ideas on how to accomplish this.

My thoughts: use an audio distribution network, instead of setting up separate computers. You could easily setup a remote controlled computer that could be controlled from any room. Take a look at <a href="http://www.russound.com">Russound.com</a> for some ideas on how audio distribution works.

Good luck!

Old 06-09-03, 01:41 PM
I have something similar. I built a black desktop system that sits in my entertainment center. It doesn't need to be that powerfull, and you can sacrifice some power for a quiet system. Mine is a Duron 1300 with 256 Mb of RAM. If the integrated sound is good enough you can leave it as is, but you may get a higher quality sound if you use a dedicated sound card, especially if you receiver supports digital input. You should also have a video card with TV out, and of course a NIC (I prefer hardwired 100Mb), but wireless would work also. My system only has a 8 Gig drive. A wireless keyboard/mouse is also nice.
All my music is stored on my main computer in the office, so all that the ET computer does is fetch the file and play it. You can play movies also.

Old 06-17-03, 12:26 AM
There are several CD servers on the market today, all they are is a tower of CD drives with built in networking. You can get them I sizes from 20 CD to over 1000 CD. Most include automatic cataloging software with powerful search features. This would also be a great time to use a NAS device, where you whole house could share music over your network.