can't download Adobe Acrobat Reader

Old 06-11-03, 05:44 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't download Adobe Acrobat Reader

Today I bought tickets to a concert through ticketmaster and I had an option of printing the tickets out using adobe acrobat reader. I tried and was told a file on my Adobe Reader 4.0 was corrupt, and to try and download 6.0. I went to the site and couldn't download it and called Adobe support . I was told to go to download.com and the same thing happened. I got a blank page with a tiny checkerboard square in the top left hand of the page. I called Adobe again and was told that my firewall should come down while downloading. I have McAfee fortress and I followed their instructions which disables cookies and such. I also used to have an icon on netscape that told me when mail arrives, that's gone and I still can't download Adobe. I'm going crazy and my wife is losing it as she is the computer person. This happened when I tried to download a poker program a few weeks ago. Does anyone have any idea of what's happening on my computer. I use windows, 98,2nd edition. Thanks.

Old 06-11-03, 06:05 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Are you using IE 6?

if you go to http://www.adobe.com do you get a page or what?

Old 06-11-03, 06:36 PM
tae
isn't fortress just a file encrypter/decrypter? Are you using their firewall? which one?are you on dialup or dsl/cable?A friend had this trouble on dialup sometime ago and it took several tries to get it. try from different sites.

Old 06-12-03, 08:15 AM
T
Disable the firewall, then run Mcafee again. If you have an old CD with drivers Adobe should be there. It's virtually on every CD now. I hope you're not using a download manager, those will usually tend to mess up trivial things like file downloads.

Old 06-12-03, 10:22 AM
E
I believe I'm using internet explorer 6.0. windows 98 se. I'm hooked up to time warner cable through earthlink. I actually got the problem solved, my wife spent over 2 hours with earthlink support, not sure what she did. I am absolutely amazed by earthlink support. A guy spent over 2 hours straightening out a host of minor problems after we had disabled our firewall and didn't get it back up right. Thanks for all the help. These boards are simply the best.

Old 06-12-03, 10:46 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wow, that is pretty amazing that any TS would spend 2 hours on a problem. Chalk one up for Earthlink

Glad you got it working.

Old 06-12-03, 10:58 AM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
If possible could you post what the solution was?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 06-12-03, 11:00 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally posted by easywind
I actually got the problem solved, my wife spent over 2 hours with earthlink support, not sure what she did.

Old 06-12-03, 11:07 AM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Why did you do that?

I know what he said.
Obviously though he can ask his wife and post.

Old 06-12-03, 04:44 PM
tae
I'm sure that after 2 hours with ANY tech support, no one remembers all the things they did. Also, if there were "multiple" problems, then thats alot to remember. I believe the answer would be...... they just helped get the firewall configured right, after solving the other miner issues.

Old 06-17-03, 09:04 AM
E
Downloading Adobe 6.0

Hello. I'm Easywind's wife, Diane, and want to thank all of you who posted with regard to our original message. Tae, you're correct. I don't remember ALL the things TS and I did. However, what FINALLY worked was an e-mail from him attaching the Adobe Reader 6.0 and downloading it from there. Yes, we do have Explorer 6.0 and Windows 98 SE. TS and I had tried several sites as well as "ending tasks" except for IE and 1 other. None of these worked. We still do NOT know why we're having this trouble. The TS person, who is a master technician, said he did not know the problem. The person who built the computer thinks it may have something to do with Time Warner's cable set-up. At any rate, we're okay for now....until the next download.

Old 06-17-03, 11:27 AM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Hey, thanks for the post.

Reason I wanted to know is the problem closely resembles others a lot of people with IE 6 are having.

Interesting is that Adobe.com was showing up as effected on the systems with the problem.
Very interesting.

Thanks again,
Michael

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: