win2000-setup as home comp not busi.

Old 06-11-03, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
win2000-setup as home comp not busi.

I recall setting up 2000 a while back and it asking something about being setup as a home computer versus a buiness computer. (I selected buisiness because I am familiar with how that works). It was a dialog during the setup/installation routine, and I haven't been able to find it again. I asked someone else who used 2000 on multiple machines at home in the past and they seemed to agree there was someway to force 2000 to be configured similarly to that of 98 rather than the traditional NT structure (like my doc, and other personal file traditionally under "doc.and settings".
What does anybody have to say? Any experinces with this?
I'm trying to setup a machine for an elderly person and need to simplify the system as much as possible. They are 95/98 user, and require files etc. to be easy to find, the defalt microsoft way.

gj

Not to be rude, I am only interested in answers pertaining to windows setup, not how to setup folders and so on for them.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-03, 04:06 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
i don't think there's an "easier" way when going from win95/98 to win2000 operating system other than showing them how to do it.
i wasn't quite clear on your question, however, if you mean the appearance of the desktop, you can simply select it from your task bar settings. that should give you the "traditional" desktop look and icons. just select "classic" view.

Old 06-12-03, 07:12 AM
I believe that home vs business will only affect the networking part of Win2K. I don't believe you can have a "business" or "home" version of the desktop.

Old 06-12-03, 03:36 PM
tae
there is a win 2000 home as well as the more common win 2000 pro.I have never seen win2k home. I know of all the times i installed 2000 pro, i have never seen that, and could not find anything on microsoft about it. Maybe 2000 server asks this?going to 2000 from 98 isnt so bad. i'll have to check my server edition to see if thats it, but it would still be normal win2k, just without all the business/server/services loaded. win xp can be set to "classic" mode.

Old 06-12-03, 06:36 PM
I may be thinking of xp pro instead, but I still have this recollection of this in 2000pro. There is no 2000Home ed., rather Millenium which is 98se with some modifications.

I'm not worried about this much, I intend to setup a PowerUser account for them to use, and explian about logon, Administrator, etc.

I doubt what I am thinking of exists if the three of you can't identify the configuration option. What I believe the "home computer" option would do is configure the OS to automatically logon a user, that has all privledges, and eliminated the Doc&sett. directory.

Thanks anyway.

gj

Old 06-12-03, 08:54 PM
tae
OOPS......LOL!!! Sorry...

There is no 2000Home ed., rather Millenium which is 98se with some modifications

While searching microsoft, i went to the win2k page and it had a slide out menu that said:
windows 2000 home
what i didnt look close at was the next lines:
windows 2000 professional home
windows 2000 server home
windows 2000 advanced server home

lol...i must be tired, but i figured if microsoft said it was so, it must be true. I thought it must of been an early oem release or something.