Kazza

Old 06-12-03, 09:46 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
Kazza

I have downloaded 5 songs it says my part. is low how to I raise it? I understand you can put the songs on a cd but I do not have a cd burner. Would it be hard for a novice to install one?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-03, 09:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use <a href="http://kazaahack.250x.com">KazaaHack</a> to raise your participation level. It's a pretty cool program, I use it all the time - works great!

Installing CD burners is a fairly simple process. If you're not familiar with the insides of a computer case, it can be somewhat daunting, but to be totally honest, there's really not much in there

There's usually about 4 screws that hold your CD-ROM in. By removing those 4 screws, you can slide the CD out of the front of the case. You'll have 2 or 3 wires connected to the back of the CD (1 - 4 conductor Power Cable - just pull it out, gently; 1 - 40 pin IDE cable or data cable - pull it out even more gently; and possibly 1 - 4 conductor audio cable - pull it out.) Once you get all the cables disconnected (don't worry about labeling them or anything, there's only one place they can plug in), you'll need to note the settings on your CD drive - Master, Slave, or Cable Select. Set your new drive to exactly the same setting. Now you're ready to slide that drive in and make your connections (one thing you need to note is that the PIN 1 on the data cable is connected to PIN 1 on the drive - PIN 1 on the data cable is usually red, and it's marked on the drive.) Other than that, you really can't go wrong (and even that on most cables is hard to do wrong.) Set the screws again on the drive and tighten them down to hold it in the case.

Once you boot the computer back up, you may get some weird messages at startup about setup and this and that - if you do just go into setup and let it detect what you have, once it does Save and Exit (this will probably not even be an issue, but it's possible - depending on how your CMOS is setup.)

That should do it. You're ready to start burning. Get some good software to burn with, of course (your burner will probably come with some anyway.) You may have to install some drivers for Windows, but they will come with the burner and Windows, more than likely, will auto-detect the initial settings anyway.

Good luck!

<font color=red>WARNING: When you're working inside a computer, be sure to turn off the power on the computer. Leave the power cable plugged into the back of the case, and make sure you dissipate any static energy by touching the case before touching anything inside the computer. Static electricity can cause permanent damage to parts inside a computer.</font>

Old 06-12-03, 10:05 AM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Just a note on SafeWatch's post,

For pin 1, like Safe said it is red on the cable, almost always the pin 1 side on the drive will be the closest to the power connector. So the red line on the cable goes on the side closest to the power connector.

Also you can usually find an install manual on the website of the drive maker.

You may not want to remove the old CD drive since you can then use it to copy CDs faster.

Michael

Old 06-12-03, 10:32 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
Kazza

I downloaded kazza hak it said program to open with I picked notepad will this work? New to computers

Old 06-12-03, 11:15 AM
No, KazaaHack comes in a ZIP file. You'll need <a href="http://www.winzip.com">WinZip</a> to open it. Don't worry, WinZip has been around for many years and is a good program, you'll need it a lot if you're going to download anything online. ZIP files are compressed files, so they don't take up as much space. If I remember correctly, the KazaaHack ZIP file contains just one or two files, the KazaaHack.exe is the file you'll want to run. It doesn't have a setup or anything, just that file. So when you use WinZip to open the file, extract the KazaaHack.exe file to a place you can remember. You'll have to run it from time-to-time with Kazaa open to get your participation level up.

BTW, if you don't like all the "extras" that come with Kazaa (namely the Ad-ware and Spy-ware), try <a href="http://wwwkazaalite.com">Kazaa Lite</a>, it's built from the same core as Kazaa, but doesn't have all the Ad/Spy Ware.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-03, 01:24 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
kazza

I made the mistake of all ready opening it with notepad and now it opens it with notepad only help?

Old 06-12-03, 02:34 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
ok.
Click on it once so it is selected.
Now hold down your SHIFT key and right click on it.
You will see that "Open With..." is now in the menu.
Choose it and then select Winzip to open it with.
You can check the "Always use this program.........." checkbox to make it open zip files with winzip always.

Click ok and it will open in winzip.

Michael

Old 06-12-03, 03:11 PM
If you install WinZip, it should automatically associate with ZIP files. If not, you won't have WinZip as an option to associate with anyway. If you already have WinZip installed, use Michael's method to re-associate WinZip with those files (however, I'm pretty sure this is not the case, otherwise, WinZip would have opened it before.)

Good luck!

Old 06-12-03, 03:51 PM
tae
i prefer winrar over winzip.

Old 06-13-03, 06:33 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
Thank you everyone for your help got winzip installed and the kazza deal thanks!

Old 06-20-03, 05:41 PM
Kazaalite

Kazaalite takes care of this AND gets rid of the pop-ups