Reformatting a partitioned HD

Old 06-12-03, 09:51 PM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
Reformatting a partitioned HD

Hi, I Want to Reformatt my harddrive becuase when i got it the drive was partitioned and i now decided i dont like have a split drive...so what do i do to bring it back to being one MAIN drive instead of two Partitioned drives?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-03, 11:05 PM
tae
Old 06-13-03, 12:56 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
It appears from your history that you are running Windows 2000 Pro, but I can't be absolutely certain from your post(s), whether or not you are wanting to repartition the drive on which Windows is installed, or not.

If your goal is to simply wipe everything out and reinstall Windows, you can "combine" the two partitions as part of the setup process; During setup, when prompted, simply delete both partitions and then create a new one from the "Unpartitioned Space"; When you're ready, boot to your setup disk and you'll see what I mean...

Otherwise, if you are wanting to reconfigure a second hard drive which contains no system files and would just like to "combine" the two partitions for some reason; Try going "Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management" or possibly, "Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Disk Management" depending upon your setup; Then, once again, delete both partitions and create a new one from the results.

<B>Please be warned, any of the above will clear the drive and you will be left with only a blank slate.</B>

Hope this helps;
Please post back, if it doesn't;
R

Old 06-13-03, 05:08 AM
exeter_acres
Visiting Guest
One other option is Partition Magic... It is not free, but I feel worth every penny.. I have used it many times without a problem...
the latest versions have the ability to merge partitions without losing any data.

I stll do and recommend a full backup because anything can happen, but it might be an easy fix for you if you want to keep your data.

Otherwise magister is correct if you are starting from scratch

Old 06-17-03, 12:18 AM
I also use Partition Magic and think is a great tool!