Netscape slowing computer

Old 06-13-03, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have just installed netscape 7.0 and I have noticed a significant slowdown on my computer. My wife says it is loaded with info. I never use it and keep it in case IE crashes. PS I know zip about computers.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-03, 06:39 PM
I have Netscape 7.02. It is slower than Mozilla 1.3, but is clean and renders code better than IE.

If you will tell us about your computer, which operating system and version you have, which processor and how much memory and hard drive size and percentage filled, we will be better able to help your.

To speed things up, you can remove some things that run in the background all the time. In fact, almost anything other than virus programs and system maintenance are good candidates for removal. The things are terminate and stay resident, are partially or fully loaded at start up and eat up memory and some processor time just hanging around waiting for you to use them.

To see what can be removed from the startup routine, click Start, then click Run, and type in MSCONFIG, click the startup tab and see what is loaded up front. You can unselect these to stop them from loading at startup. If you want them back, go through the same routine and re-select the item to put it back into the startup routine.

Netscape does not load in the background, as I recall, therefore it appears to take longer to load than does IE. IE loads itself at startup, so that it is always ready to go when you want it.

There are other items to consider. You can take a look at the sticky postings at the top of the forum for ideas.

Check back here if you have any questions. But let us know what you are using, so that we can be more help.

Good luck.

Old 06-17-03, 08:40 AM
Netscape Slowing Computer

Hello Chris. I'm Easywind's wife, Diane. Thank you for your response. We have Windows 98 SE, a 500 MHZ CPU, 9.52 GB and only using 2.66 GB, and 128 MB SD RAM. I'm sure the issue lies in the background. You're correct in that Netscape does not load in the background. I went to MSCONFIG and was amazed at what's there. I'm a little apprehensive about what to unselect as I don't know what their function is. For example:scan registry, task monitor, system tray, AO tray, Stillmage Monitor, TCASUTIEXE, TKBELLEXE, Load Power Profile, HPDJ Taskbar Utility, Load Power Profile, Scheduling Agent: 1 is checked and 1 is not. I'm sure some of these could be unchecked. I'm just not clear which ones. Thanks much!

Old 06-17-03, 09:51 AM
Keep:

scan registry, task monitor, system tray, Scheduling Agent

You can always turn these back on later.

The program TKBELLEXE will reappear because it is an automatic downloader from RealPlayer. I am sure you can live without it. You may have to change settings in RealPlayer to get rid of the auto downloader.

Scandisk, defrag, clean out cookies, and all those sorts of things I assume you have done.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-03, 08:24 AM
CLEANING OUT COOKIES....

Thanks for your help Chris. I did as you suggested and turned off many things at startup. I also did "scandisk". We clean off our temporary files every day but not the cookies. What exactly happens when the cookies are "cleaned off"? We are on Ebay, Do It Yourself & Yahoo ALL DAY! Thanks for your help. Diane

Old 06-18-03, 08:55 AM
If you clean out cookies, you will have to log back in to the sites that have "remembered" you. Otherwise, not much will change. Lots of cookies are set for advertising, page marking, site registration, and such. You can likely do without almost all of them. The ones you want, such as "remembering" will set themselves up when you visit the site again.

Hope this helps.