webcam, java & windows xp with firewall

Old 06-14-03, 12:37 PM
tnt0306
Visiting Guest
Angry java and windows xp with firewall

i have a friend who is in desperate help.. he had zone alarm and windows ME .. he had java and could broadcast his webcam on yahoo and other programs, but NOW, he had problems and had to reformat his harddrive and reload .. ok.. talked him into getting windows XP... reloaded java, DID NOT reload Zone alarm.... and now it says he is behind a firewall ! ! We go to control panel and network connections.. go to his dial up service and it says the firewall is not enabled. . . . have any ideas were the firewall might be then???

help

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-03, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The webcam program says he's behind a firewall?

Old 06-14-03, 03:40 PM
tnt0306
Visiting Guest
correct

yes, the program is www.xxxxxxx.com or www.xxxxxxxx.com and yahoo messenger... they all say the same thing when he tries to view a webcam or broadcast his. we went to internet exploer and checked the security settings there and nothing is checked. he doesnt have any other firewalls set up or installed. we checked with the isp and they dont have one ... very frustrating ! !

---
Moderator's Note

Though the linked sites are legitimate chat sites catering to the webcam community; They are not specific to the camera and offered nothing in the way of helpfiles or anything which could obviously be used to fix the problem. One of the sites loads an exit console of Adult links and it is for this reason, I chose to edit the references; R

Last edited by magister; 06-15-03 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-14-03, 03:48 PM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
be sure zone alarm was COMPLETELY uninstalled. it was a nice program for earlier windows, but not xp. also, it's not very compatible with cable (road runner) zone alarm embeds itself in the registry....been there myself.

also, if he's running an anti-virus program be sure to check the settings on that too.

i was looking for a solution and found this...not sure if it helps...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...llclisetup.asp

Old 06-14-03, 03:50 PM
tnt0306
Visiting Guest
he has reformatted his hard drive. he had windows ME and didn't have any problems.. then all of the sudden this started happening. he deleted zone alarm, reformatted his hard drive and just upgraded to windows xp and was thinking that would solve everything.... no avail!

Old 06-14-03, 04:29 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
There is a built-in firewall as part of XP and most likely it defaults to being enabled; Go to your "Network Connections" interface, right-click on the connection, choose "Properties" and on the "Advanced" tab, uncheck "Protect my computer or network" and then, try your webcam; If it works, then you can fiddle with what is and isn't protected via the ICF settings.

I don't know if you have disabled ICF prior to my reply or whether it may actually be the source of the problem, but because it is a difference between ME and XP; It was what popped into my mind upon my initial read as something that may have possibly been overlooked;

Hope this Helps;
R

---
Edit

Though, I don't know whether or not ICF may be the source of your problem, yet; Since I introduced the idea, I'm tacking-on the following url from the Knowledge Base for more information on the subject;
<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;320855">Description of the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall</A>

Last edited by magister; 06-14-03 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-14-03, 09:00 PM
tnt0306
Visiting Guest
did that

we have tried that also. this problem started prior to installing xp... it was happening with win ME and so after reformatting the computer with me and STILL having the problem, we thought that xp would help, and start fresh. . . . So, he reformatted the computer and installed win xp and still having this problem. where the heck else would a firewall be?? So, anyone have any ideas??

Old 06-14-03, 11:31 PM
tae
shootin in the dark looking for ideas

ok, the computer was fine, then all of a sudden you started getting a firewall message when trying to use the webcam? then you reformatted and installed me again and same problem. Then reformatted and installed xp and still same problem? can you use windows update?

run netstat and view all your connections...to do this go to a command prompt and type netstat -a(netstat space -a)

look at your services and startup using the msconfig command.

is there a router or any networking?

FROM YAHOO:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mesg/w...ebcams-13.html
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mesg/w...ebcams-30.html
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mesg/w...ebcams-31.html
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mesg/w...ebcams-19.html
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mesg/webcams/index.html

Old 06-15-03, 09:59 AM
tnt0306
Visiting Guest
no networking, no router.. using dial up

he is on dialup service, but we will look at the msconfig. not sure what I am looking for, but we will see what we can do... thank you for your last sugguestion. . . will keep you posted

Thank you again for the replies. . . they are appreciated

the 2 novice computer users . . .

Old 06-15-03, 01:44 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Also, shooting in the dark...

Personally, right this minute, I lean towards something changing with the provider minus any local networking; Though, you certainly should run through Tae's excellent list, including the helpfiles; If all was working, then suddenly it quit and since that occurrance, he has reformatted and reinstalled, then reformatted and upgraded; Plus, one would have to assume that since it was working, the camera was properly installed and it has since been properly reinstalled; And any way you look at it, you should be able to <A HREF="http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mesg/webcams/webcams-04.html">view with a non-working camera</A>, nonetheless; I would call the provider again, re-ask about a firewall and add a question about whether or not they employ a proxy or cache server, also. Plus, if it is a national provider, you may want to call them twice just to see if you get a different answer from another operator...

Good Luck;
R

PS) I added the word "webcam" to the subjectline of this thread to make it more relevant.

Last edited by magister; 06-15-03 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-15-03, 10:04 PM
tnt0306
Visiting Guest
checked with the server

but we will check again. it is NOT here in the states and he checked with them once, but was going to check again on monday...... just SO frustrating ! ! thank you to everyone who has given some advice. . . . thank you so much

Teri

Old 06-19-03, 01:18 PM
tnt0306
Visiting Guest
revisited again

well.. thank you to all who tried to help.. NOTHING has worked. Checked with the provider, then havent changed anything on there side. Is there a way zonealarm changed something in like the bios or something and we need to change it back?

just one last thought !

Old 06-19-03, 07:30 PM
Find out what ports the program has to use. Those ports are obviously blocked by something. He's not behind a router is he? What kind of AV is he using? Some have a firewall function built in. There are some sites on the net that will test your net connection for open ports. That will at least tell you if the port is open or not. I think it's a missconfiguration of the program itself.

Old 06-19-03, 09:59 PM
tnt0306
Visiting Guest
ports

how do you check the ports? no, he is not using a router. just simple dial up service. If it is a problem with the program, then what program would it be?? they use jave, but the broadcaster for yahoo chat and the webcams I dont know that they use because it is all downloaded as one. . . .So, how do i check the ports and what the heck is AV??

guess I dont know as much as I thought about computers......

always learning ! !

Old 06-20-03, 12:47 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by tae
run netstat and view all your connections...to do this go to a command prompt and type netstat -a(netstat space -a)
The number behind the colon under "Local Address" identifies the port and a Yahoo <A HREF="http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mesg/twin/twin-36.html">helpfile</A> says the Webcam feature needs port 5100. If there's something using 5100 and if you don't know what it may be; This page from the <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281336">Knowledge Base</A> should help you match it up (XP only)

Old 06-20-03, 06:28 AM
AV = Anti Virus. Some of the new ones have a firewall build in (Trend Micro comes to mind). If it's running all "unsual" (and I would consider port 5100 unusual) is blocked.

Old 06-21-03, 03:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
He may want to try downloading the non-Java version of Yahoo Messenger and running the cam from there. If so, tell him to make sure he doesn't have any options selected in the Proxy tab of Setup (or "No proxy or firewall" option.)

I'm not familiar with the Java version of Messenger, but I've never had problems with the downloadable version of Messenger. If that doesn't work, he could also try YahElite to view and send webcams. It's much better for using cams on Yahoo anyway. If you want it, let me know and I'll try to find the link to it.

Good luck!