Startup errors

Old 06-16-03, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Startup errors

I have an emachines 400ix, 6.4 hard drive, 64mb ram, Windows 98..
My problem is when I start up I get 5-6 error messages: i.e. cannot start program, missing dll I think or other file, etc.
I have deleted some programs & I'm thinking these are parts of those programs, I have deleted those usually through the uninstaller (when found!) and dont see those in the add/remove via my computer.
I also unchecked some boxes in the startup tab which I got to from the system configuration utility, programs which were giving me some problems, I found that info. through a troubleshooter but am not confident that was the correct thing to do. Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-03, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deleting programs under Windows is generally a bad idea.

I know it sounds troublesome, but I would reinstall the deleted programs then uninstall them. You might try reinstalling programs that you have problems with. This will enable writing the correct versions of *.dll and *.vxd files as intended.

This link may be of some help.

http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

For persistent problems starting and stopping Windows with errors such as those with *.dll, *.vxd files, running the Windows setup program to reinstall Windows will restore Windows to its original state. Note that I do not recommend formatting drives, except to install new operating systems.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-03, 12:34 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
In all likelihood, the computer is looking for the programs or some of their components which were not properly uninstalled; Programfiles are mostly .exe, but .other extensions also qualify; The .dll's and others may have been accidently deleted during your purge or they could be required by some of the deleted programs...

I suggest that next time you restart, you make a list of the files your machine is seeking and if it's not obvious based on the filenames to which program they belong; Go to your favorite search engine and enclose the entire name, including the . and the dll, or whatever in quotation marks. You should be able to discern from the results, what files go with what and armed with this information, go through your msconfig (Start/Run/msconfig) and disable the errant programs. Or, if you determine that the file may have been deleted by accident, you can reinstall them from the software or find a websource, such as http://www.dll-files.com/ and put them back...

For example, if you were to do a websearch on "nppdf32.dll" (including the quotation marks), you would discover just by glancing at the results that this file is associated with the Acrobat Reader, so if I didn't have it, I would want it; But, if it was associated with something I had deleted and was causing problems on startup, I would begin by looking for the program reference in msconfig and your startup folder.

Please let us know how it works out and if you need other suggestions or more information...

Hope this Helps;
R

Last edited by magister; 06-16-03 at 03:05 PM.