Gateway E-3600 drive lock mechanism

Old 06-16-03, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gateway E-3600 drive lock mechanism

I was in a library that has about 10 Gateway E-3600 systems for patrons to use for internet, office2000, etcetera.
I noticed that all of them had a key-operated lock device mounted in the top 5 1/4 bay that had three posotions for the lock:
1 DVD drive unlocked, harddrive locked
2 locked
3 unlocked

Does anybody have any idea what this does?
The machines are 1.5 years old. (not cheap systems either, 15"LCDs, $100 headphones, and many software titles!
Grundy Library is in Bristol. Pa. (located at the river with a view!!!)
I was in Bucks county with my mother who went to the library to use the microfilm-which is boring to me. It will be a while before I would have any opportunity to return there (I.E. ask a librarian), because I so not live near there.

Just my curiosity!
gj

Old 06-16-03, 09:50 PM
tae
I remember when all cases, or so it seemed, came with a front lock. Had to do with the power button. If it was locked, no power. I would guess this is the same type thing,just a power passthrough/switch to each of those components. Either the computers locked(wont work) or unlocked(will work) or the dvd will work but not the hard drive(no copying movies?) probably not a gateway product, but who knows. Sounds like a simple security type device.

Old 06-18-03, 12:44 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
_top or bump

Your post and Tae's reply caught my fancy last evening and I was intrigued by the possibility, so I thought I might bump you back up-top with a fairly simple suggestion; If you are interested in such a setup this seems like a good excuse to buy a copy of "Computer Shopper" mag, if they still print such a thing.

I went out to my shed this afternoon and I have a couple of mini-towers with the power lock that Tae described and I have a beautiful old full-tower with a doorlock similar to that which you can get from Tiger, but all I could find via a quick search was some actual, physical drive locks from PCGuardian. So, barring any input from the community, I suggest purchasing an a copy of "Computer Shopper" mag, if it is still in print...

Good Luck;
R

Old 06-18-03, 09:18 PM
Ahh!

That sounds logical.....
Why would the library have them, if they keep them in the unlocked position?
Also, there is minimal security on the machines to keep people off who have not gotten approval at the front desk to use a computer. I think it was rather a "brilliant" idea of someone doing the ordering, not realizing that such a add-on was not practical, or perhaps going to be used.
Nice E-3600's anyways. To bad I can't find any on ebay.
A local non-profit I am involved with needs some computers, the newest of them just quit booting today and another one that has been in service for a while fried something on the board while descintigrating the wires on the case speaker. Having volunteers with work to do but no way to do it is not good. Sunday I will go to a computer show with the president, and perhaps get something, or at least parts.

Thanks for clueing me in, regards,
gj

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: