old laptop.gateway 2000 colorbookl

Old 06-16-03, 06:00 PM
bobmattypa
Visiting Guest
old laptop.gateway 2000 colorbookl

how do i delete program or file from dos. i tried to reload win 95 but did not finish download.how i have used too much in memory to run windows.can run dos but am a windows child,and got too sorry to learn the true basics. thank you all marty

Old 06-16-03, 06:11 PM
tae
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you would use the "del" command or "deltree" command.

Old 06-17-03, 03:50 PM
bobmattypa
Visiting Guest
like i said am not much on dos. tried del +deltree .dut am i deleting the file or the just the program mane off of the dir. thankyou marty

Old 06-17-03, 05:15 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
At the c:\ prompt type "del filename.ext", file deleted.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-03, 08:18 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Of course, Chfite and Tae has answered your question, but if your goal is to erase everything or a lot of stuff; There may be easier ways than what you may be doing. Once again, I'm not exactly sure of your goal, so I'm going address what I interpret it to be and if you need more, or if you have a different goal; Please post back, so perhaps we might make it as painless as possible;<DL><DT>DEL</DT><DD>Chris has you covered, but you should also know that del *.txt will delete every file with the "txt" extension and del *.* will delete every file in the directory or folder.</DD>

<DT>DELTREE</DT><DD>As Tae suggested, deltree followed by the drive and directory or folder name will delete the directory and all of it's contents. For example, if you would like to delete the folder "c:/myfolder/yourfolder" and it's contents, you would type deltree c:/myfolder/yourfolder and if you wanted to delete everything in "myfolder" including it's subdirectories (yourfolder), you would go deltree c:/myfolder</DD></DL>Also, if your goal is to delete absolutely everything on the drive, you could simply go format c:, but you'll need a system to reboot. Fortunately though, one could easily be created by inserting a floppy and typing sys a:; If you have not already deleted any of the system files and in that event, it could be created with another computer formatted in FAT (Win95 or Win98 for example) or obtained from another source. But, since you are working in DOS, one has to assume that you still have the system files available...

Good Luck;
R

Last edited by magister; 06-17-03 at 08:35 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: