printer problems

Old 06-19-03, 09:20 PM
jmyk
Visiting Guest
printer problems

I have a Compaq 5000 Series home computer. I installed a Compaq IJ 600 inkjet printer onto it about a year ago.
Recently the printer quit printing. It won't even print out a test page. I checked the ink cartridges and they are both full. What could be the problem with it?
Also, how do I make the little printer 'icon' appear on my desktop?

Thanks,
jmyk

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-03, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recently the printer quit printing
First, when did the printer quit working and what operating system are you using? If you've recently done a Windows Update and it quit working, then you may need to uninstall the printer and then reinstall it. This may be what you need to do, anyway.

A way to check to make sure there aren't any 'obvious' problems is to first check all connections (electrical cords and connection cords ie: usb, parallel, etc). If that isn't a problem then right click MyComputer, choose Properties from the menu box. When the dialog box opens, click on the Device Manager tab. Click the + sign next to your printer and then single click (highlight) your printer under the heading. Then select Properties. Make sure that the checkbox for "available in all hardware profiles" is checked, and that the disabled box IS NOT checked. Also, click on the driver tab and choose driver information button. Check for information there, and you can also click the other option of updating the driver as well.

If for some reason there is a question mark or exclamation point on your printer in the Device Manager, you can determine from there what the problem may be.
Also, how do I make the little printer 'icon' appear on my desktop?
I'm assuming that this option is in the program for the printer itself. To check and see, go to Start/Programs and find your printer folder. Lexmark's is called 'solution center' and yours may have a similar name. Check to see if there is an option for putting the icon on your desktop for easier access to the control panel of your printer.

Hope this helps a little. If not, please post back and someone else may be able to lead you in the direction you need to solve your problem. If it works, please post back and let us know that this is a possible solution for others with the same problem.

Thanks!

kay

Old 06-20-03, 06:22 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
also, are any of the lights/buttons blinking,flashing or staying on or off?

little story: i had a problem with one of my printers not printing. I didn't worry about it as i have 3, and this one was not networked up so wasn't really important. When i finally got around to looking at it, after checking for the obvious,reinstalling,actually reading the manual(duh) and going "huh, i dont get it. it should be working" i looked at the slot where the paper comes out, and low and behold, the kids had somehow stuck a big stick up in there, and it was jamming everything up.LOL, i felt stupid. Finally got the stick out and luckily everything still works ok.