yes video drivers

Old 06-20-03, 07:26 AM
oxide
Visiting Guest
yes video drivers

Hello all. Iam having probs with win xp home.Win 98 didnt seem so hard.How do you change the video drivers correctly and which ones are the right drivers?Should I always update my drivers to the new ones on nvidias website?I would think that the new drivers would be tweaked for the new video cards,using the latest o/s,directx,mobos,etc.Also should I upgrade the chipset drivers?Are they designed for specific chipsets?
I use 3DMark 2001se for stability testing and benchmarking.I
get around 7400 as scores.at max res of1024x768.
Seems a little low to me.
Heres my mobo, thanks
400 watt power supply
ASUS A7V8X mobo
Amd 2000
512Mb pc2700 DDR by SPD
nvidia 3 Ti 200 (latest drivers)
SB Live
WD 80Gb w/8Mb cache
Lite on CD burner
Lite on DVD
nostromo gamepad
I usually use add remove programs to change drivers but sometimes there is no change or no improvement.Update driver button doesnt work because I think its only for DLL updates and new drivers are usually exe.Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending on the configuration provided from the manufacture (nVidia in this case), if there is a executable file that does the update I would run that. Depending on what it does, or instructs to do (or help instructs to do) uninstall the old stuff first. Also, making changes from "Device Manage" accesable from Control Panel>System>Hardware will list all devices in the system. THere should be a button for "Update Drivers" listed in the "Properties" dialog. XP was designed to allow device driver roll-backs.

I hate XP home because it is a NT operating system with no NT management of any sort. Nothing but trouble in my opinion.
I use a nVidia GF3 Ti-500 in a Dell Dimension 4100 with XP Pro.
gj

Old 06-23-03, 08:06 PM
Skeetr69
Visiting Guest
I have the same card and win xp does everything for me, just go to the update page and it knows what card you have and will ask you if you want to update your driver for the card.
Roger

Old 06-23-03, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GForce3 Ti 200 is not exactly top of the line anymore. I always simply go to Nvidia's website and download the latest drivers. You can certanly go to many benchmarking sites and you'll see that some will claim one particular version is better and faster then another. Realistically though it will make no difference. 100 fps will seem the same to you as 90 fps.
To replace the video card driver the easiest way would be to go to display properties and change the driver to a standard VGA, then reboot, and run the Nvidia installer.