New PC won't power off. Instead it reboots.

Old 06-20-03, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New PC won't power off. Instead it reboots.

My new pc does not shut down properly. After closing Windows XP, (the shutdown appears to be completely performed), then the pc reboots 'automatically' immediately following Shutdown. To be clear, when I say reboot, I mean an ordinary boot up, from bios on up. This means that I cannot power off my pc normally. Instead, to power off, I have learned to hit the power on/off button, a second time, after about 5 seconds into the susequent unwanted bios bootup.

This problematic shutdown sequence occurs identically, regardless of whether I ;
1. Hit the power on/off button on the tower.
or
2. Click 'Turn off computer' and 'Shutdown'

This problem first appeared as the new pc was being assembled. An extra controller card was originally installed to support additional hard drive devices. I wanted 6 devices. After the controller card was installed, the shutdown problem was first noticed as part of the building-a-pc process, but I cannot prove it was caused by the extra adapter card. However, I think it is definately related. Here's why. After this symptom first occurred, I concluded that I did not want to live with this bug, and immediately removed the new controller card. The card has never since been reinstalled. But of course, the shutdown problem remains.

I have precluded the possibility of a wiring error with the towers power button and reset button. They are wired correct and otherwise perform as expected.

To be even more clear, please note that during this shutdown sequence of events, there are no systems hangs (i.e. not waiting for reply from ghost device). There are no errors messages, nor any indication of a problem during the shutdown. It is a squeaky clean shutdown aside from the reboot problem.

Does anyone have any insight or advice? A computer that won't shut down,,,, didn't I see that play out in the movie Terminater.

Configuration:

AMD 1533 Mhz, Athlon processor. (I think this is marketed as a 1800Mhz pc)
Award bios.
VIA chipset.
Windows XP with Service Pack 1.
Drive A. Floppy drive (although there is no floppy drive in this machine, XP does not require it)
C. Fixed disk
D and E. Fixed disk, formated in two partitions.
F. CD-rom
G. CD-rom (one of these is a cdr dvd)
OnBoard Sound, Graphic, Usb, .
Eithernet adapter card. (hmmm, or it this onboard?)
Modem (hmmm, or it this onboard?)
Capture card adapter. PixelView
256 M memory

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-03, 10:02 AM
maadi_griffin
Visiting Guest
....bios settings?

Old 06-20-03, 10:25 AM
Gosh, there are so many, any one in particular?

Old 06-20-03, 11:41 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Right-click "My Computer", choose "Properties" and on the "Advanced" tab in the "Startup and Recovery" section, hit the "Settings" and see if "Automatically Restart" is checked in the "System Failure" department; Unchecking this may "solve" the problem, but it isn't going to get at it's cause and would not be the preferred way to leave the machine.

To look for the cause and if the above is true, I would start in the "Event Viewer"; Try going "Start/Settings/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Event Viewer"; Look around for something marked with a red error icon (sort of a stop sign) in the "System" log that coincides with the time of a restart; Double-click the problematic entry or entries and if you can't determine the source of the problem, you are welcome to hit the "Copy" button and paste the info, here...

Good Luck;
R

Old 06-20-03, 11:46 AM
If I read correctly, there are two optical drives, and two hard drives, one of which has two partitions (D & E ).
This totals 4 drives, so where are 5 & 6? 98% of motherboards in desktop-type computers have two IDE connectors, each supporting two drives, equalling four. My MB has two ata-100 and two ata-133 connectors. Thats 8 drives I could connect! What is the need for the expansion card? RAID perhaps?

I would look in the "power Managment" section of the BIOS. REseting the BIOS may fix the problem also, assuming there are no complex configurations with raid etc. that would need to be redone. Might you have another computer with an ATX power supply? I know intel P4 machines have a second power connector (4 pin, square), do AMD systems require it too?I'm also thinking there may be a conflict of some sort with remote wake-up, modems, and network adapters can do it. If there is a modem, take it out, and is Ethernet integrated, or a PCI card added? If there is PCI card, is a 3-wire cable connect it to elsewhere on the motherboard?
Personally, I would strip the system down to essentials to see what happens. The next/last resort is reinstall the OS. Perhaps try a different operating system. I know some computers will power off properly with Win9x, but not any of the NT's.

gj

Old 06-20-03, 12:51 PM
To Magister,

1. I did unclick the "Automatically Restart" as you mentioned. However it did not affect my symptoms.
2. I checked the 'Event Log'. There are no events listed at all during shutdown. Nada, zip, none, not even 1. However I do show a single red icon for each start up. Although the timestamp clearly shows this is a startup event and definately not a shutdown event, I will post the event message here, just in case you think it might be a serious problem.
"The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000001' while processing the file '' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume."

To Green Jacket,

1. You said, "This totals 4 drives, so where are 5 & 6?" Drives 5 and 6 would have been a zip drive and another harddrive. But my motherboard only had 2 IDE slots, thus 4 devices.
Before I start removing hardware just yet, I would like to comtemplate other possible causes such as bios settings, etc.

To Everyone,
I did reinstall Windows XP on this new pc just last week because I screwed up while installing a slave drive. So, I'm thinking that might point the finger at bios. Because I formatted drive C (yes, formatted!) and after I reinstalled windows xp, the shutdown problem was present, just as before.

Old 06-20-03, 02:17 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
The System Restore error is most likely a result of the improper shutdown and has nothing to do with the problem at hand; You may need to do as GJ suggested and either pull everything out and add them back, one at a time until you find the cause, or pull things out one at a time until you get a clean shutdown.

Otherwise and of course, I'm hoping the more hardware-oriented will continue to make suggestions and analyze your problem; But in the meantime, here's a link that Chfite posted last week which lists several possible conflicts and you probably should look at the whole page; http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Please Keep Us Informed;
R

Old 06-20-03, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the link. After reading it, I suspect I have a incompatibility issue or old drivers. (I'm an old driver myself ) That is good to know. When I get the time, I can start chasing those things down, one at a time. But for now, I feel content to know that I have not overlooked simple solutions. Thanks for all the help, especially that link.

Old 06-21-03, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check the Power Options in the BIOS to make sure the "Restart computer on power loss" (or similar option) is not checked. This <i>shouldn't</i> affect shutdown, but an incompatibility between the MoBo and some other hardware may cause this problem, you never know.

That's about the only option in BIOS that could affect the reboot process. Of course, you could also disable any Wake-Ons too, just to make sure.

You may want to try a BIOS default and see what happens.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-03, 03:40 PM
When you get through with all this, take a look at your power supply. I had the same problem a few months back when I built my first rig. I spent a couple of weeks doing pretty much all the same things you're doing now. Had to change the power supply for some reason that I can't recall now, and the problem went away. Problem was with a Sparkle power supply, now using an Enermax.

Old 06-27-03, 09:03 PM
As a follow up, I have tried the changing the 'restart' options and that did not affect the symptoms. And as to the power supply, it is oversized since it was purchased to run 6 ide devices, but I only have 4. I suspect it is in the device drivers as stated by an earlier post to a url. Thanks for the feedback.