Label software for aggregate not duplicate labels.

Old 06-21-03, 06:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Label software for aggregate not duplicate labels.

I have been stumped for months on what product to buy. I want to print labels as follows, 9 labels shown below:

widget #1 widget #4 xxxx
widget #2 widget #5 xxxx
widget #3 widget #6 xxxx

It doesn't matter if they print across the page or down the page.

I have a list of 100 widgets. I want to print labels with only 1 widget per label, hence, 1 page of 20 labels must have 20 different labels on that page. Secondly, I also need to print labels with about 10 widgets per large label. Of course these two tasks would be separate projects and unrelated. I want to pick the Avery label size from a list, then pick a font, then point to the widget name file, they finalize the layout as needed, and then print a set of labels.

The problem I keep running into is this; all the products I look at seem to be good at printing multiple copies of a single widget. For example, a full page of labels for widget #1, then a page for widget #2, and so on. Now I have seen advertising references to printing labels from a widget file, but I can't be sure if they will print single or multiple copies. And I want to be able to do all this with a minimum of human layout time, so I want smart software (smart centering, smart font adjustments), yet simple to use.

I downloaded free sample software twice and tried it. When I printed labels from a text file, it printed widget #1 multiple times which is exactly what I don't want. I am computer savy but seem to have no talent or patience for this label task.

Also, for the large lables (3x5) I want to print 2 unique titles on each label, along with the widget items. 2 labels shown below.

TITLE1 TITLE3
TITLE2 TITLE4
widget #1 widget #4
widget #2 widget #5
widget #3 widget #6

Optionally, I would like to print a single full page index (not labels)of all the widgets, laid out in such a way as to serve as a quick reference to each large label. Ideally this index page would include more item detail that is stored in the text file. But this is optional as I could do this in other ways quick reference page in other ways.

Will it be easy to do, or will I have layout problems with text running off the label? Will I end up spending hours, telling each layout detail to print once, then get a print error and have to start all over, from an hour ago, respecifing where to print what?

Has anyone does this? Can you recommend a product?

Old 06-21-03, 07:41 AM
heliotrope
Visiting Guest
Lugnut:

I've never tried anything quite as complex as what you're talking about, but have had decent luck with Avery Label Pro. My version is rather elderly (only make return address labels, now), but it seems to do a decent job.

You do have to set up the data base (which is editable) and I do seem to recall the option of printing the name of the Field/Title also. I don't know which brand you tried, but here are some I found - all with free trial downloads:

WorldLabel.Com
Avery Products
Sure Thing Labeler

Hopefully, one of these will work for you.

Rose

Old 06-21-03, 11:49 AM
Ok, I downloaded the SureThing, Office Labeler. No dice. I never saw any folder or icon to start it. Too weird, bad Karma. It's off the list. I will download a different product next.

Old 06-21-03, 12:00 PM
Ok, I just downloaded World Label, after it started first time, it ask me to buy or not. Well, it's a FREE TRIAL, right? So I closed the box since there was no option to say 'later' and then, "it !" dissappeared too, so I uninstalled it.

The avery site does not say what their several products do, so I skipped it because I can't determine what each product does. I am not going to download and install them all. I do NOT want to make CD labels, and that is what all the products are pushing.

Okay, now I know what you must be thinking, but I promise you I have downloaded tons of products in the past 10 years. I'm not completely incompetent.

I will wait to see if someone can steer me to what I wish I had.

Thanks for the links, all the same.

Old 06-21-03, 01:53 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How about MS Works, it has a lable wizard in it.

Old 06-21-03, 03:12 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Do you have MS Word or MS Works and if you have Word; Do you have any other parts of the suite (Access or Excel?)?

Old 06-21-03, 03:19 PM
No, I don't have any Word products.

Old 06-21-03, 03:50 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Actually, I missed the first line in your original post; The one about looking for what product to buy and was going to delete and resubmit because I could see you weren't really asking "How to"...

MS Works is a mini-version of the Office suite and though I know it has the capability to do labels and I'm 98% sure, it'll do as you want; I know you can do it in MSWord, but you may have to retype your list; I'd have to look to make sure, but that is my memory; If you had Access, you could import your textfile as a csv and link it to the internal database on Word which is why I asked about other Office products.

Works may be your less expensive option, but I've never really ran the program except to show someone how to do something and then, I am only taking what one would do in the Office products and downsizing; But, as I said and others can speak better to the point, I'm pretty sure Works would do the trick. And, I'm a 100% sure you can do it in Word because I regularly produce form letters and mailing labels and have even made "widget-labels" on occasion.

Of course, there may be something shareware with which I am not familiar But, as to your other concern; In Word, you can pick which label you are using by the Avery product number (which also lists the measurements), or you can define your own label size...

Hope this helps; My suggestion would be to get Word, but maybe I'm prejudiced. Plus, I'm also pretty sure that Wordperfect would do the same, but I only know folks who run Wordperfect and have never used the program with a graphical interface, myself. I'm old and I use the Microsoft products.

Keep Passing Open Windows;
R

PS) If you would like to continue your search for shareware/trialware; Of course, most folks start at download.com but because what you are seeking is more productivity-oriented and more "old-school", you might want to peruse what is available from Winsite, also.

PPS) If someone who owns Works would like to speak to the capabilities of that program, it looks to me that everything described would fall under the heading of Form Letters and Labels.

Last edited by magister; 06-21-03 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-21-03, 07:00 PM
heliotrope
Visiting Guest
I actually have MS Works 7.0; I purchased it for my WinXP Pro to help an elderly family member who didn't have Excel.

I just took a look at its label features, and they look pretty impressive. It has an option for Multiple-entry labels, under:
    I believe I spent approximately $80 at Best Buy for the program.

I also just finished downloading Avery's program which has an option to create labels with a "Master Design and Different Information." This was a free download; a limited version of Avery Design Pro.

At Avery's home page, hover your mouse cursor over the Software tab and click on Avery Software. You're right, there wasn't a very good description, but I liked what I saw (after I downloaded it) and will toss my old Avery program for this.

Free is a heck of a lot better than the $80 I paid for Works, however the Works label program looks a little simpler.

Don't know what to tell you; I liked them both.

Rose

Old 06-21-03, 07:45 PM
    fjclaus
    Visiting Guest
    Sounds like you are talking about printing a sheet of labels with each one saying something different. If this is the case you can do that with Microsoft Works or Word which you most likely already have.

The process of picking a template in Works for "Mailing Labels" you get to pick the type of label you want. The second option (don't remember what it says) gives you the option of printing something new on each label.

Hope that helps,
    Frederick

Old 06-21-03, 08:11 PM
    In works it allows you to import a data base that you may have created.

With the data base made and imported. it's all a matter of hitting the print command.

Old 06-21-03, 08:19 PM
    magister
    Visiting Guest
    Ditto, the faster P2k

The trick or difference between getting Works and a freeware labelmaker is that the fuller products create persistent datasources. If you want the index and if the 3x5's which look to be widget categories were to contain dupes of the info on the widget labels, you'll need a datasource which can be referenced by different documents to get different layouts; My limited exposure to Works and the reading that I have done in the past few minutes indicates that just like Word or the Office suite; Works would allow you to create such a sourcefile, so that you'd only have to type the info once and you can lay it out any number of ways until the end of time.

So, I guess that I'm modifying my reply to say that if you don't need a full product, Works would probably be your most economical choice because it would give you more solution diversity for your investment and the freeware products most likely don't create persistent data sources. Though, without doing further reading, I can't explain the difference between the $50 Works and the $100 Suite other than the suite looks like it contains more wizards and ships with MS Word, included.

Good Luck;
    R

Last edited by magister; 06-21-03 at 11:17 PM.
    Old 06-22-03, 06:23 PM
    Thanks all for the many posts.

Here a few of my observations from reading all the above posts.

1. I do absolutely want 'persistent' data.

2. I do not want a database, but instead, a simple text file, ya know, comma delimited fields created by NotePad, etc.

3. I do not what to buy Works or Word. I like them, but I found them unable to meet my label needs. And WordPad is all I ever need. I have actually tried, (struggled with Word) but the data is not persistent or will not print just 1 record per label. I spent too many hours on it. The Help is poor, unless you want to learn how to import a graphic or print a 1000 business cards. I don't want to spent another hour or day on that again.

4. The avery site is worthless. Can't find product demos nor good descriptions, nor even a decent list of software products. I accidentally stumbled across their product call 'label Pro' but the page was blank. I can't even see prices or purchase options on Avery.

Man, this is killing me. It just can't be that hard. It seems to me that (one of ) my needs is similar if not exactly the same as someone printing file folder labels, except that I want to type the names in a file first, then just point to it. I would gladly spent under $100 bucks for a decent label program. I have been surfing, but to no avail.

Does anyone here have such a product and use it?

Signed Puzzled.

Old 06-22-03, 07:05 PM
    Well sorry your not finding what you want.

I have delt with works for years now, and is very good and what you want to get done with it.

Yes I have done a test, and you can use a plain text file, that has comma delimited fields to import from

Works will print one entry per label, I've run test here on works, and it will and can do just what you want.

I have such a product and use it.

Oh Well I treid to help.

If your willing to learn we can help you.

Good Luck to You.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: