How do search engines really work on ranking things

Old 06-21-03, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do search engines really work on ranking things

Can anyone explain how search engines really work, in ranking sites. I have read about meta-tagging and other ways to zero in on results, but what about the ranking system.

Just kind of curious...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-03, 05:49 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
They each have different algorithms; For example, google factors-in how many pages link to you in addition to the usual factors; For the best info about how to boost your ranking and how each engine actually works, along with more than you probably would ever want to know on the subject; Pay a visit to <A HREF="http://www.searchenginewatch.com">SearchEngineWatch.com</a>

Good Luck;
R

Old 06-21-03, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The PageRank (or Popularity) ranking is very simple - it's a ranking of the popularity of your site on other sites - in other words, how many sites link to you. So, the more sites that link back to you, the better. It's really that simple

Old 06-21-03, 06:11 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
One other thought about Search Engine ranking;

If you are trying to sell something, the reviews are kind of mixed as to the pay-off from <A HREF="http://adwords.google.com">Google Adwords</A>, but an account with <A HREF="http://www.overture.com">Overture</A> will put you right uptop in most search engines as a "Sponsored Link" and it is proven; Look at where the sites put the sponsors for an understanding as to why one seems to produce better results; Though you would have to be willing to pay for every click and bank your advance payment; And, Adwords is the only way to get a sponsorship on the Google results along with most AOL sites/users, but you really wouldn't have to choose one over the other, either; Combined, they would give you full coverage, but you'd be paying for every click.

Good Luck;
R

Old 06-21-03, 06:22 PM
I was just curious about how it work. My little site has some amazing rankings for different things. I have a lot of fun with it and am constantly surprised at how many people actually come to it. How they find it is beyond me. I only use the address in the signiture here, and on e mail that I respond to.
No, I sell nothing, it's all parody and satire. No death threats yet from the Kansas Tourism Commission...

Old 06-21-03, 06:50 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
You mean that's not a real town; I commented on it, when you announced your "find" in Kay's forum and I held back some because though I found it hilarious, I thought maybe it was your real hometown. Anyway, take a look at SEW and you'll find lots of relevant info in the lefthand menu; And once again, I found the site hilarious and maybe I shouldn't have edited-out the borderline comment that I was going to make about Juanita...

Peace;
R

Old 06-21-03, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All I can say is - you've got incredibly too much time on your hands

The site is hilarious though

Old 06-21-03, 08:51 PM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
A few of you mentioned "How many sites link back to you". Does that include all of these message boards where my web site is included in a signature of my message board postings?

Old 06-22-03, 06:39 AM
I would think that the site that the messages are posted on, pick a number of messages, would only count as one link. But I don't think putting a signiture name would count as a link as it has to be cut and paste, not an actual hyperlink.

TOO MUCH time... I have no more than 2 hours of computer time in the evening and what time I can squeeze in earily morning and of course same applies to weekends. I'm a power internet user and go to just a very few sites in under 15 minutes as a rule. That's why I go to so few forums here, there are more I wish I had the time for. (I do make extra time if I have specific questions or want to go into detail on some answer) Some great info on the differert trades here.

Magister, you would be surprised at how many people think it IS a real town. If you compare it to other real town sites, it is hard to tell. I do have alot of fun with it and I see things in the paper or on the news and it just clicks. When I "Found" the site, there wasn't a whole lot of content to it Now it has 80-100 pages (lost count) but the town has a growing economy, even during this recession, and more businesses are coming online!