CD problem

Old 06-28-03, 02:52 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Question CD problem

I have a Dell 200 MHZ. I got two CD's (that are parts lists and exploded views of riding lawnmowers). I had to go into explorer and open up the various files (which worked fine the first time). Then I put the other disc in and I get and error message that the program isn't ready. Now I get that same message with either disc. Incidentially, the light on my CD drive stays on (if that means anything). Could someone please tell me whats going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 05:12 PM
BelairBoy
Visiting Guest
are either of the discs scratched? Have you tried restarting the computer and then putting one of the discs in. It sounds like your cd rom drive is trying to read the disc but can't. I've had similar problems in the past. Normally I reset the computer and thats the end of it. good luck, hopefully someone else can help you more.

Old 06-28-03, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I think I would try restarting also. It sounds like either the program has hung or the CD drive is having problems. Or one caused the other. Restarting will probably take care of it.

BTW, if you're going to be using these CD's often, you may want to try a CD emulator. These programs take the CD image and put it on the HD, and make the OS think that it's a real CD. Then you don't have to change CD's all the time or look for the CD's, etc.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-03, 08:43 PM
Good suggestion: CD emulator!

I have always wondered if there were such programs available.

Do you have any recommendations? I hate those pesky encyclopedias from more than several years ago, before hard drives were exceptionally spacious, and won't offer a direct FULL installation to the HD., instead requiring the CD each time.

gj

Old 06-28-03, 08:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I recently used one for something (don't remember exactly what), but I uninstalled it the other day, so I don't know where exactly to find it. However, it should be fairly easy to find with a Google Search - <a href='http://www.google.com/search?q="daemon%20tools"'>Daemon Tools</a>. If I remember correctly, it's free. It worked pretty well too, puts an icon in your taskbar to access the drives by. Let's you mount and unmount multiple images on multiple drives (each one uses a separate drive letter.)

Of course, the major drawback to using one of these programs is that you have to have a large HD to hold the images.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-03, 10:51 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Restarting certainly would fix the problem, but before you go that far, you may want to try hitting "F5" to refresh...

Good Luck;
R