won't boot

Old 06-29-03, 05:35 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
won't boot

Please bear with me.
For several days wife's 266 celeron W98SE comp getting blue screens, losing home network configurations, and freezing. These things were occuring at an alarming rate (even for w98.) Updated all drivers reinstalled uninstalled, no conflicts, everything was right.
Still no relief, and settings and network and adapter settings continued to be lost. So reformatted and did a clean install. Kept freezing again and wouldn't update thru MS Update.. This morning it won't boot.
Both cd roms lightup and just when memory is to be tested there is one beep (evrything is seated properly, memory sticks are good) and cursor blinks and does not proceed with memory test just stays there blinking. Inserting boot disc does nothing.
In addition to power it off the button in the back has to be used as the regular button on front only works to turn it on.
Any idiers??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-03, 05:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like either a BIOS problem or a hardware problem. I would start with resetting the CMOS inside the computer. If that doesn't do it, then remove all the hardware except the bare minimum (CPU, RAM, HDD, and Video.) See if it will boot up. If it does, then start adding hardware back until you find the source of your problem.

Good luck!

BTW, if removing all the hardware doesn't work, it's very possible you have some bad chips - try replacing them (or if you are lucky enough to have 2 of them, then put in 1 at a time to see which is not working.)

Old 06-29-03, 08:53 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My puter boots up video first, then memory. I would check the video card. Pull it out and make sure the pins are cleaned( i use rubbing alcohol and q tips)then reseat. Do the same with memory, put back in a different order, and maybe one at a time. Bad memory can do all kinds of weird things. Also, maybe replace the mobo battery, and reset the bios(see your manual).Sometimes pulling the battery for a short period will reset the bios. Were you using an antivirus that was up to date? There are also now viruses that target the BIOS program stored on the motherboard, on systems that employ a flash BIOS. These viruses can overwrite the system BIOS program and leave the PC in an unbootable state. (Some motherboards have jumpers that you can set to disable BIOS flashing except when you want to do it.)