Box With Red X Instead Of A Pic

Old 07-10-03, 08:36 PM
W
wwc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Box With Red X Instead Of A Pic

how come I get a box with a red x in it insted of pictures sometimes?
I have windows 98 and sometimes when I look at a site with pictures or someone posts a pic I get a little box woth a red x in it and a blank square where the pic should be.
Is there something I need to download?
thanks.

Old 07-10-03, 09:20 PM
C
Take a look at this and see if it helps you.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=135291

---
Moderator's Note
Chris I sent you a pm explaining why I changed the url, but for the benefit of your reputation; I'd like to point-out to the community that it was nothing you did, but instead it was I, who messed-up and had to fix my mistake; R

Last edited by magister; 07-10-03 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-10-03, 10:26 PM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
I get the problem of images not displaying in Internet Explorer quite a bit. I went searching the Net and found a forum with a very long thread on the subject. It seems some people never get the problem and others get improvements through trying one thing or another. No single remedy seems to work for everyone. Many put it down to their upgrade to IE6 SP1. Going back to IE 5.5 never worked for me though, I still got those annoying little red x's.

In the end I tried other browsers and eventually settled on MozillaFirebird (formerly called 'Phoenix'). I have been using it for some time now and never have trouble with graphics not loading.

Once in a while I go back to IE6 to view a site where the writer has built it so that only looks right in Microsoft browsers. I can get trouble with images not loading when I do this.

Maybe it's ISP's causing the problem. I'm on a cable modem and my own ISP uses a number of proxy servers up and down the country. There has been a suggestion that changing to a different proxy server, other than the one nearest, improves matters. So maybe it's just certain conditions (maybe when the system is running a bit slowly?) or ways of connecting to the Internet that gives some people this trouble.

If there is a reason such as this then MozillaFirebird makes a better job of getting over it.

Old 07-11-03, 12:41 AM
M
Happens to me often. No clue why though. I have Int. Explorer and Window XP.

Old 07-11-03, 12:56 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
Threesheds; I moved your post into this thread which is a partial explanation for my note to Chris and as to why, Firebird does a good job while IE sometimes fails you; I could take a guess, but I really can't tell for sure...

The other fellow in the previous thread was most likely suffering at the hands of an overburdened server and an overburdened proxy would have the same effect; But, because you are not having problems with the Mozilla product; If it has anything to do with the server capacities, the only offhand response could be that maybe Mozilla re-requests a failed file and IE may not. If this is true, it could explain the difference. But, I don't know enough about the operations of Mozilla to know whether or not this is true and it is only an extremely wild guess.

More likely, the issue could be a problematic component of your operating system and/or the IE browser; Mozilla is a stand-alone product and it renders the images using it's own engine; I don't know offhand, whether IE installs the image-viewing as part of IE or the operating system and they aren't exactly famous for sharing such info; But, somewhere in you computer is some code that interprets imagefiles and if it was corrupted, IE would have a problem that would not effect any of the other browser products because Microsoft forces them to install their own code.

Next time you see a red x; Right-click it and look at the properties; This should tell you which imagetype with which you are having problems and if there is a consistency, then you would know that the problem lies within a Microsoft product and because many MS operating systems contain a "Preview Pane"; I would lean towards the engine being part of the OS and you may be able to address it by either updating your OS or reinstalling Windows overtop of your current installation; Basically, "reconnecting the wires" without overwriting any files and then possibly, rechecking for any updates just to make sure that you hadn't accidently overwritten any part of a previous.

---

WWC; I gather from your post that you are using Win98, but you don't mention which browser version you are using; Win98 is the furthest-back OS that will work with IE6 and there have been some reported problems with using IE6 on Win98, but they have been getting fewer and further between after the introduction of Service Pack 1.

Chris has pointed you towards a thread that is centered around server capacity issues and that could be the problem; The rendering engine as I mentioned to threesheds could theoretically be an issue; A lack of RAM might possibly cause problems....

In your case, I would start by using a process of elimination; Go to WindowsUpdate and look for any downloads which may be available for your system; If you haven't upgraded your browser, you should at least consider it and/or post back here with the information, so that we might make a recommendation (Help/About on your browser's menu); Look for consistencies in file types or servers (For instance, does it happen on big-time corporate webs like Yahoo or Microsoft, or does it only occur when you are drawing from "Bob's Backyard WebServer"?);

You might also want to run a tracert, the next time you experience problems (Note the base url; Bring-up your "Command Prompt" and type "tracert www.something.huh" without the quotes and using the real address; Hit your "Enter" key and any asterisks will indicate a problematic step along the way)

A million years ago, all traffic was routed through either "Mae East" or "Mae West" and those were oftentimes bottlenecks; Since then, things have gotten much more spread-out, but due to traffic-trading contracts, your provider's provider tosses their traffic to a subset of providers and they in turn have contracts with other subsets. I remember, back when I lived in Maine, I would oftentimes have trouble getting through New Jersey...

Try the above; Narrow-down the problem and please let us know what you learn.

---

Marie; In your case, I would suggest you start with a tracert and by judging at which level you think the requested server may live; A tracert wouldn't hurt anyone and with the financial problems that are plaguing backbone carriers, it may be an explanation for several.

And of course, if anyone else has any experiences or ideas, please don't hestitate to post...

Good Luck to All;
R

Last edited by magister; 07-11-03 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-11-03, 07:43 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No one has asked the obvious question yet??? WWC, What sites are you having problems with?

It is very possible that the pics on these sites are just broken links. The pictures may not exist in the specified location anymore, they may be hot-linked to other sites that have removed the pics (or just stopped letting people hot-link), there are several explanations for why a link may be broken.

Here's what you need to do - open up Notepad and get you Copy/Paste buttons ready - browse the internet some (maybe try using your History to go back to some of the pages you've had problems with) and Copy/Paste the URL from address bar to Notepad. Then when you get a good list going, Copy/Paste it to a reply here. Since there are so many different OS/Browser/Settings combinations between us all, we may have a better chance of figuring out what works and doesn't work by trying some of the same sites.

Also, as Magister mentioned, post back with some more info about your browser and what version you are using.

If anyone else wants to chime in with some problem sites, feel free to (just be careful of what you post - we will be watching them carefully.)

Old 07-11-03, 10:35 AM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
When I was using IE regularly it might happen randomly with many sites. The images that won't show are most often small gifs. Right clicking and choosing 'show picture' will often make all images missing in the page appear, not always though.

I have tried a clean installation of W98SE and installed IE 6 from the Windows Update site just to make sure it is the latest version.

Although Internet Explorer can very often work quite alright for periods of time, those missing graphics symbols sometimes still come back. This is why I get the impression that IE is not handling particularly well a problem that is basically Internet or connection based.

Old 07-11-03, 08:28 PM
W
wwc
I wasn't sure before about what all I needed to tell about my system without going over board.
I am not a computer guru so be patient with me ok?lol
I have windows 98se with EI version 6.
I used to not have this problem but back at the first of the year everything crashed for some strange reason and after getting everything back up it has done this when it didn't before.
I just went to a site that i go to everyday and the message board is where I get alot of the x's but also sometimes at big corporate web sites too.
There was a pic posted from a friend on the message board that yesterday I couldn't see and that didn't surprise me because it happens so often but I just checked the same post again and now I see the pic.
I have been having this problem for a long time and I know it can't be fixed all by itself now.
I will try and check out everything all you have said and I will for sure tell you if I find or fix it.

Old 07-11-03, 08:30 PM
S
Sounds like it might just be a slow connection that is timing out.

Try an internet tweaker (I forget the name of the one I used to use, but you can find them everywhere - try Download.com). They do several things to help with time-outs and other such connection issues online.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-03, 10:33 PM
W
wwc
I have cable road runner as a server would that still be too slow and cause this.

Old 07-16-03, 03:37 PM
S
It's possible, it really depends on what the TTL is set to. I would still run a tweaker and see if it helps. Windows, by default, is not setup for Cable modem support anyway (this does not apply to NT-based versions - NT/2k/XP.)

Old 07-17-03, 12:31 AM
magister
Visiting Guest
WWC; What is your "FILES" setting in config.sys?

To find out, go "Start/Run" and in the little box, type "notepad config.sys" including the space, but without the quotes. Somewhere on the resulting page, you should see a setting of "FILES=xx", once again without the quotes and with the "x's" representing a numeric value.

I believe the installation default on Win98 is 60, but why don't you try taking it a bit higher and see if that will fix the problem? You can set it to any number up to 255, but I'd start by upping it possibly to 100 just to see if it will better IE's performance and you will need to reboot for any change to take effect.

Also, if you don't have a "FILES=xx" setting in your config.sys, then this very easily could be the source of the problem and you should add it to the file, once again without the quotes. And, if it doesn't exist, you should probably start with the installation default of 60 and then, reboot.

Please let us know how it comes out...

Good Luck;
R

PS) If the setting does exist, you up it and if it has no effect on your situation; You probably should reset it back down to keep from unnecessarily reserving memory.

Last edited by magister; 07-17-03 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-17-03, 01:07 PM
W
wwc
HEY MAGISTER

Thanks magister that sounds interesting. I tried it and a alert box came up from note pad saying "cannot find config sys file. do you want to creat one?"
I typed like you said notepad config.sys
Is that correct?
I clicked no and then a blank notepad came up with nothing on it but a task panel across the top of it.
What do i need to do now.

Old 07-17-03, 01:16 PM
S
The easier way to find Config.sys is to use "sysedit". Type "sysedit" in the Start/Run box and press enter. You'll see a window with 5 windows inside it, the "Config.sys" window is the window you're looking for. See if it has the FILES setting or not and go from there. Make sure you save and restart the computer if you change anything (btw, don't change anything but the FILES line.)

Good luck!

Old 07-17-03, 02:03 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Sorry about that and of course, SafeWatch is correct about sysedit; It slipped my mind and obviously, I intentionally set an overly inclusive path variable because I am lazy and use the little run box on my machine more than anything else. Hopefully, changing or setting (in case you lost it in the crash) the FILES will have an effect; It was just an idea that occurred to me as I was doing some work around the house...

Otherwise, because Road Runner is part of Time-Warner who are pretty much broke; And, we have another guy having a similar problem who connects through SBC and they have been experiencing a large spurt in growth; I was also going to suggest that you ask around your local community to see if others are having the problem; Perhaps, your provider is in need of an upgrade.

Good Luck;
R

Last edited by magister; 07-17-03 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-17-03, 04:17 PM
W
wwc
Hmmm, Well I did what you said but i'm not sure of what I have or what to do now. Here is what I have.
after I bring up the five boxes the config box says...
device =C:\windows\HIMEM.sys
device =C:\windows\EMM386.exe
now what ?

Old 07-17-03, 05:18 PM
S
Add a line that says "FILES=60" to it, then save.

Old 07-17-03, 09:27 PM
W
wwc
Unhappy

Well no good luck with that. I saved it from 60 to 100,150,200,and no results and at 255 my desk top looked funny with "ghosts" and when I tried to open IE it gave me errors so I put it back to 60 and I'll watch it more at that setting. I did reboot everytime.
I had a bad crash back at the first of the year and I did lose some of my windows programs in the accessory file for example.
Is it possible to load windows again over top of 98 now and have it rewrite what i'm misssing. I didn't always have this problem.
I don't want to get over my head here so I'm afraid of changing too many things and not be able to get it back at least as good as it is now.
thanks for all the help, any more ideas?

Old 07-17-03, 10:36 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Well, it was worth a shot, anyway...
Let's just call it; Thinking outside of the box...

Certainly, you can run the 98 install back over your current and not only would it replace anything that you're missing, but oftentimes, I refer to it as "reconnecting the wires"; Don't reformat; Just run the install back over the top; Then, you probably should redo Windows Update and possibly run the IE install back over the top just to make sure; But, certainly you can reinstall without hurting anything and it will replace anything that's missing...

Good Luck;
R

Old 07-18-03, 08:16 AM
S
Yeah, I think at this point, that might be a good idea, especially considering the crash.

Of course, if you really want to fix it - install WinXP Home or Pro overtop of it

Good luck!

Old 07-18-03, 11:58 AM
W
wwc
Well thanks anyway I appreciate it.
I will let you know how things work out.

Old 07-25-03, 11:52 PM
W
wwc
more troubles

Well after all that I tried to over write windows 98 se but it won't because of a driver problem now.
After all that was done now I have a new problem since then so i think i messed something up some how,HELP !
Now when I first startup this computer and it all loads up and i see my desk top the curser blinks back and forth to a hour glass like something is trying to run and after a couple minutes it will go to the blue error screen and ask to press any button to continue and after doing that it goes all black. But if you move the mouse around across the black screen it makes some places appear like it usually looks but still leave a few black spaces.
But after that you can use I explorer and there is no more blinking but things are not right.
I tried hitting control alt delete while it was blinking and it brought up these things...
explorer (windows?)
zapro (my zone alarm pro software)
stimon (?)
systray ( windows?)
comdlgex ( my Macafee virus software?)
Also when I brought up the control alt delete screen the blinking stopped if that means anything.
What do i do now?

Old 07-26-03, 12:47 AM
tae
I would check msconfig, and disable all startup items, then add them back one at a time until you find it, unless someone else knows exactly what is wrong. I have had something similar, and think it was video related, but can't remember for sure.

NB Common Dialog Enhancements: COMDLGEX.EXE ---Part of McAfee Nuts & Bolts. With Common Dialog Enhancements, you can add MRU list box to open dialogs

StillImageMonitor: Stimon.exe Stimon.exe ----enables a USB still-image device (such as a scanner) to initiate data transfer to a program. For example, if your scanning device has a scan button, it may start a program and begin scanning when you press it. Create a shortcut and start it manually when needed if your scanner otherwise fails to scan. May be required for your USB scanner to work - including all HP scanners

SystemTray or SysTray SysTray.Exe :SYSTRAY.EXE
--- System Tray Services. Provides the Volume Control, PC Card Status, Power Management and other icons that reside in the System Tray. SYSTRAY.EXE may be disabled if none of these services are required. It will launch as and when required if you later enable the icons. If you need these items they're available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel

Old 07-26-03, 04:06 AM
1_4_U
Visiting Guest
time to get xp

Old 07-28-03, 06:30 PM
W
wwc
Today I tried downloading windows 98 se back over the one already there but this computer wouldn't stay running long enough to complete before shutting down. And I don't think it will allow me to download in safe mode.

Old 07-28-03, 07:17 PM
S
If your computer is shutting down, it sounds like you have worse problems than pics not showing up.

Old 07-28-03, 07:56 PM
W
wwc
please read a couple post up to see what i mean.
It's worse now that if i had left well enough alone.
HELP !

Old 07-28-03, 08:18 PM
S
I know, I've been reading along as the thread progresses (and, apparently, your problems too.)

You need to restart the computer with a Win98 Boot Disk and reinstall from there. You don't want to reinstall from inside Windows anyway - you should always reinstall from a Boot Disk.

Let us know how that works out - Good Luck!

Old 07-28-03, 11:31 PM
threesheds
Visiting Guest
It is always good to tie a fault down to particular cause and apply a remedy. It doesn't always seem possible though. A format and clean installation of software sometimes seems the best thing to do if the OS becomes too troublesome.

I reluctantly say though (I hope I'd be wrong) that I don't think this will cure the original trouble of graphics in web pages not showing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: