New Hard Drive

Old 07-18-03, 04:56 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New Hard Drive

Hi folks;
Quick question here. I have a older Dell p2, 266. This poor old machine has only a 6MB drive. I was pondering installing a newer Western Digital or Motax(? spelling) 40 MB or larger drive and moving the 6 to a slave. I also want to take all the programs that I presently have on the present C and move them to the new drive. Anyone know correct way to do this or if it will work? Pros / cons?
I was thinking move present C to slave position , install new drive, (re)install windows on new drive, then move programs to drive. Sound right?
Reason is that recently upgraded to Netscape 7.1 and it ate all of my remaining drive. Was reluctant to do the upgrade but several necessary sites refused to recognize the older Netscape that I was using. Am comtemplating new PC but would retain this one for several FSim programs on it.

Also, anyone know of a good program to get rid of all unnecessary DLL's etc. Nortons Uninstall Deluxe used to have a good feature for it, I but accidently uninstalled that program and they no longer offer the updates or support for it. Have NSW 2003 but it doesn't seem to do the same job. Keeps showing several DLLs for same programs and you choose. Sort of Russian roulette for me. Ditti Mau!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-03, 05:26 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
a 40 gig drive will probably not be recognised had the same machine and it only recocnised 19gig of the new 20 gig drive.
When windows cleanly installed there shouldnt be many unneccessary dlls. I'd suggest not installing the old drive with this in mind except perhaps to move progras from it to the new drive

Old 07-18-03, 06:32 PM
C
An easy step would be to put the new drive in as a slave. The uninstall NS and install it on the new drive.

Maxtor drives come with a disk that will move everything to the new drive for you. It makes an easy process of what could be a nighmare. Then you can change to new drive to master and clean up the old drive once you determine that everything on the new drive works to your satisfaction. The documentation is straightforward.

It is unlikely that you could simply move individual Windows programs to a new drive because of the registry that controls the way Windows works. Reinstalling them would be the best way to make sure that Windows knows where they are.

You might check to make sure that you have the latest update to the BIOS.

HTH

Old 07-18-03, 09:15 PM
B
Thanks for the replies guys!
Mudder, you had the same machine and it would only recognize 19 of 20 g? Did you ever find out why? But then again, 19 is better than 6! LOL!!! Might get a cheaper buy there.

Chfite, that was my original idea but I guess that I paraphrased it wrong. Any comments on Maxtor?

Old 07-18-03, 09:45 PM
western Digital is trusted by most folks, the products are good.
However companies such as Maxtor offer some other edge that the competition doens't, everyone has a specialty.

Historically, I didn't trust Maxtor, and was always told of problems by others. Personally, I've only had one Maxtor go bad, a 60G 7.2kRPM in a Dell Dimension 4100. ***I think the older model Maxtors, by which I also include Quantum drives (Maxtor bought Quantum) are more problematic than the newer style Maxtors.***

The latest Maxtors are thinner than the normal 3.5"wide HD, I have a 30g 7.2kRPM that I have in a spare computer, it is almost silent and has given no trouble. I did not use the MaxBlast software for merely more than the one-time initial HD setup, afterwards I have always done everything the traditional ways.
Maxtor drives offer a ATA-133 interface, rather than ATA-100 like everyone else, but few computers can take advantage of it. My spare computer is from the unusual breed that was after ATA-100 was standard, but before SATA-150 came out. I am actually able to use the 133 speed. This is a unimortant issue, the P2 system is old enough that will not make a difference without a add-in PCI card. Yours probably has a ATA-33 or ATA-66 controller. Most new motherboards (currently) do not offer ATA-133 anymore, only the top-of the line do.

Hope your endeaver turns out well.
gj
I'm 50/50: W.Dig. vs. Maxtor. Never tried Seagate, IBM(Hitatchi), or SAMSUNG.

Old 07-18-03, 09:56 PM
C
I run several Maxtor drives on my computers. Workstations that run mathematical data analysis 24 hours a day, servers, and regular Windows workstations. The only abrupt failure was from a lightning strike. That one went into the trash along with the rest of the computer. I just like them, plus computers seem to do better with the same brand of drive in them when there are more than one.

I think that there are many good drives out there: IBM, WD. I just got with Maxtor and stayed.

Old 07-18-03, 10:25 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up My Two Cents

Hello Bob M

I still have the original 1998 version of Norton Uninstall Deluxe. I may be wrong but only remember 1 update or patch to it.

Could be wrong on this matter. Even in it's original form it was still a good software program for it's intended purpose. Still use it as it is, almost as it came out of the box. Like the features it has.

Suggestion would be to reinstall it and use it as is. Far better than most, works like a charm, using it when needed and still worth the prior money paid for it...

Old 07-19-03, 03:16 PM
logjam
Visiting Guest
I'd install the big drive as a slave personally - it's gonna be mostly data anyway, right? Ever try and defrag a 40Gb drive? Takes a while. Leave Windoze and your core apps on the 6Gb, dump your data and any big drive-hog apps on the slave and live happily ever after.

I would second the advice to check the BIOS and motherboard/system manual (or manufacturer's website if a name brand), to make sure it will recognize drives that big before you buy one.

logjam

Old 07-24-03, 07:46 PM
B
Mudder;
Poked around a little and found this on Western Digitals site regarding recognizing HD size. Maybe of interest to you if you still have the computer you upgraded to 20GB. http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....cGFnZT0x&p_li=

Old 07-25-03, 03:40 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
thanx bob but my motherboard went and bought a new computer.