extra memory

Old 07-26-03, 01:12 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
extra memory

my computer has only 15 mb left on the c drive so it is constantly running out of drive space, but there is a full 2 gigabytes on my d drive in which I do not know how to access it, how would I be able to access the d drives 2 gigs or am I just not able to? my comp is saving everything to the c drive and running off of it and freezes up cause of the lack of memory.....please help thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-03, 06:08 PM
C
If you are running Windows, and you can see the D drive in My Computer, and you have large files that you can move such as those in documents or photos, you can drag and drop them to this other drive. Windows will keep track of where they are and will follow the move when saving to them.

You can create folders on the D drive. When windows asks where to save something, then tell it to put new files there. You could uninstall some programs that are on the C drive and reinstall them on the D drive.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-03, 07:39 PM
W
could I somehow relocate the memory from my d drive to my c drive????

Old 07-26-03, 07:49 PM
C
A program such as Partition Magic will help you reallocate space on your hard drive.. It can even remove D and restore the space to C. I haven't used it in many years, since I changed to Linux. It has a good reputation.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-26-03, 11:28 PM
logjam
Visiting Guest
I think part of your problem is that because you only have 16Mb free on C: Windows does not have enough space to dynamically resize your swap file (or 'Virtual Memory').

You can move the swap file to D: by doing the following...

- Shut down any programs you're using (you'll be rebooting in a sec)
- Open the [Start] menu
- Go to 'Settings' -> 'Control Panel'
- Double-click on the 'System' icon
- Click on the |Performance| tab
- Click the [Virtual Memory] button
- Select 'Let me specify my own virtual memory settings'
- Change the 'Hard Disk' field from C: to D:
- You should be ok leaving the Min and Max as they are (0 and a few thousand respectively)
- Hit [Ok] all the way back out
- Windows should reboot your PC, if it does not, you need to do it manually

Congratulations, you just moved your Windows swap file onto your big empty D: drive and you shouldn't get that error message again.. well not until you fill up D: also.

I would recommend that you carefully uninstall any old software you no longer use and organize your personal data files, moving some/all of them to D:

Good luck.

Old 07-27-03, 11:23 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll be much better off if you make both your Min and Max values to the Max value in the Virtual Memory settings. The reason is simple - if you have a different Min and Max, then Windows will be constantly changing your swap file size, using up CPU processes. If you have the same setting for both, then it stays at that size and doesn't get changed.

So, take Windows recommended size and use it for both Min and Max, in other words

Good luck!