Xcell trouble

Old 07-28-03, 05:00 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Xcell trouble

I have a DELL Inspiron 8200 laptop running Windows XP. I have developed a problem with files that I do a "save as" that give themselves a name of "copy of" the particular file that I am modifying instead of the new file name that I name them. This loads up the file or folder where I keep them with a lot of extra files and I have to sort thru them before deleteting them, and it moves them aphabetically to the "c 's" instead of the first letter of the file I used. This has caused other problems too file wise, but I dont know if they are related. I get "read only" attached to a lot of the modified files with no apparent action of my own. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to change?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-03, 08:38 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The file/save as option is designed to be used when you want to save changes you made to a document but save the document under a different name. For example if you make changes to "spreadsheetABC.xls" and want to retain a copy of the original "spreadsheetABC.xls" then you would choose "save as" and give the file a new name, like "spreadsheetABC2.xls"

If you are simply modifying a document and want to save your latest changes then you should just choose the "save" option. This will simply save any changes you have made to the same filename and not create any duplicate "copy of" files.

The "read-only" errors I have seen in excel are typically related to excel crashing while you had a particular file open. Then when you attempt to open the file again to continue working, the PC thinks someone else has the file open for editing. You can confirm this 2 ways. Check in task manager to see if there are any "excel.exe" processes running when you have all instances of excel closed. The second way is to see if the file is still in "read-only" after you reboot the pc.

Good luck

Old 07-29-03, 11:16 AM
W
File Copies

That makes sense! Since one of the excell trainers said to always use "save as" I never thought about using just "save" as you suggest. The "read only" stuff was driving me crazy and I will run your tests the next time too! Thank you very much!

Old 07-29-03, 12:31 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
As rmelo99 suggested; You would/could get a file marked as "Read-Only" after a crash or improper shutdown and it was under those instances that I remember getting files marked "Copy of" when, once the machine was back up, it would revert to the last auto-save; And, though I've been trying for the last few minutes; I can't figure-out any other way to get a "Read-Only" or "Copy-of" without directly telling the machine to behave in this manner.

<I>If you do have multiple instances of Excel operating and if you have a file open in one window and then, open it into another instance of the program, the second opening would be marked "Read-Only"; Ordinarily, you only need one instance of Excel operating at a time and you can scroll through the open docs using the "Window" menuitem.</I>

Otherwise, run your tests and please note what you're doing when the Read-Only/Copy-of problem occurs; There are several daily users of Excel who frequent this forum and with a little more information; I'm sure we can get you past this problem and/or help you with any other situations which you may be experiencing.

Good Luck;
R

Old 07-29-03, 02:46 PM
W
Excell

Well, you guys did super considering that you didnt have all the information you should have. Our office genius invented a spread sheet that can import information from another spread sheet, and these are the ones that I was saving incorrectly, causing run time errors, and all this other stuff. She says only "I" can test her stuff for problems like this. I didnt realize this import feature was related to the problem until another excell expert here read my and your questions, and asked me a few. I am pretty sure I know now what NOT to do when importing these files, and how to use TOOLS to unravel it if I goof up! Thanks again!