Processor

Old 07-29-03, 04:11 PM
Nate_Diy'er
Visiting Guest
Processor

I bought a new (new to me) proccessor, as I am upgrading my computer.

Well I recieved the processor (800mhz socket 370) and looked it over. When looking at the pins the upper right pin was missing. Since I had my whole computer almost apart, and since the chip was guaranteed to work, I plugged it in, hooked up the basics, and started the computer. It came on, ran, no problems.

Should I be concerened? Is it possible that the chip was actually manufactured without this particular pin?

Any help appreciated.

Old 07-29-03, 04:57 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The missing pin is part of the key system that goes with the missing hole in the socket so that the processor cannot be inserted in the wrong position.

HTH

Old 07-29-03, 05:43 PM
Nate_Diy'er
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by chfite
The missing pin is part of the key system that goes with the missing hole in the socket so that the processor cannot be inserted in the wrong position.

HTH
No, I don't think so. There are two angled edges at the bottom to make sure the processor can not be inserted in incorrectly. Also, the Celeron chip I pulled out had the pin.

Old 07-29-03, 07:11 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it's really a missing pin, then I would think the processor would not run at all - however, I've never seen or heard of this happening, so I'm no expert in the matter either. I'd say if it's working, let it be.

Old 07-29-03, 07:21 PM
tae
i looked at a bunch of pics for this and all had all the pins but the bottom 2 corners. What brand is this chip? did you buy it new, or from an individual?

Old 07-30-03, 12:12 PM
Nate_Diy'er
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by tae
i looked at a bunch of pics for this and all had all the pins but the bottom 2 corners. What brand is this chip? did you buy it new, or from an individual?

I bought it used. It's an actual pentium 800 eb mhz 133 fsb socket 370. I actually looked up the step code? on the intel sight and it said it's an oem part versus a retail. I was just thinking maybe that could be the case.

It works, but there will be no warranty, and I was more curious if there was anyway this would cause harm to my system. But the comp recognizes the chip for what it is, and it seems to run, so I guess I'll keep using it till it won't work anymore.

Also, does anyone know what the EB means?

Old 07-30-03, 01:27 PM
Q
HI!!!
No you shoudl not be concerned. Many manufacturers such as Intel and AMD have the same design. The one pin is "suppose" to be "missing" .

Old 07-30-03, 02:15 PM
C
EB probably means something like enhanced bus. The other chips in this family have 100 mhz fsb, this one has 133 mhz fsb.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: