Windows SAFE MODE

Old 08-05-03, 12:27 PM
B
BGH
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Windows SAFE MODE

I am hopeful that someone can help me get out of the Windows Safe Mode. A few weeks ago, for whatever reason, my computer kicked into the Safe Mode. When I re-booted I was asked a few questions outside of the normal start-up. As a result, every time I now turn on my computer I am in this Safe Mode. It is very frustrating as it shrinks the screen size, only uses 3 colors, and not all my programs can run in the Safe Mode.

I appreciate any and all suggestions that can help get me out of the Safe Mode. My computer is an older IBM Thinkpad laptop that runs on Windows 98 Second Edition. It has a Pentium II processor.

Thanks

Old 08-05-03, 01:39 PM
Does it not give you the option to boot into any mode? Usually they will give you 3 or more options, the third being to boot into safe mode.

I'm eager to hear the responses to this since it hasn't happened to me, but its sure to at some point.

Kay

Old 08-05-03, 02:30 PM
Q
HI!!!
When windows is loading up, keep hitting F8 until a screen comes that has all the options. There should be "Safe Boot" and something like Boot Windows normally and other blah blah options. Selct boot windows normally and it should be back.

[WS]
Try the following:

Open Device Manager - Check through the devices for any duplication/ redundant/broken
devices. If there are any, delete ALL instances of that device.

If it's a device you need, reinstall the driver. Reboot.

Choose Start > Settings > Folder Options.
Click the View tab in the Folder Options dialog box.
Click Show All Files and click OK.

Now go to Start/run, and type: Notepad /msdos.sys (there's a space after 'notepad'!)

This behavior can occur if the [Options] section of the Msdos.sys file contains the
following line: BootSafe=1
If it's there, remove it.

Is there a line 'BootMenuDefault=4', change the '4' into a '1'

If you see an entry 'Bootgui', its value should be '=1' also.

Go to File/Save, and close Msdos.sys. If the properties are set to 'read only', you
won't be able to save your changes, and in that case you should uncheck that box.

If tha dosen't work, here are pages directly from Microsoft:

Windows 98 Defaults to Safe Mode Even After Successful Start

Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems Q188867

Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-03, 02:37 PM
nty
Visiting Guest
Hi,

Have you press F8 key to go into boot up option screen during system booting. Normally you may select different boot up otion to fit your need, especially for trouble shooting. Hope this help!

Great information in above.

Old 08-05-03, 05:39 PM
tae
try going to start,run,type in msconfig. under the "general" tab, make sure normal startup is checked,under the "boot.ini" tab, make sure nothing is checked (like safeboot).

Old 08-06-03, 05:55 AM
B
BGH
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them tonight. To answer Kay's question, I might have been offered the three options when this first occured, but now it just goes right into Safe Mode.

Again, thanks for the help and I'll post soon to tell you if it worked!

Old 08-06-03, 06:39 PM
las
Visiting Guest
safe mode

When you go into safe mode click o.k then go to start up menu
click shut down then click restart again..some where out of all of this your default settings should kick in eventually have patients?
Give or take a few on/off with the computer don't ask me why
I don't know but it seems to work?
Someone said when they went into safe mode they couldn't get out of it?..What? You have the option to exit safe mode...the option is given to you?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: