Computer Slow

Old 08-05-03, 02:48 PM
Cor56
Visiting Guest
Computer Slow

I have a IBM ThinkPad 600E 400mhz, 288mb, and lately it has gotten slow with regard to typing letters, when I type a word it has a delay on the letters showing on the screen. Also, when moving a web page down using the side bar, it has also slowed down. The web pages still load with the same speed as it always had. Just wondering what could be causing this, it's just annoying.

Thanks for the help

Cor56

Old 08-05-03, 02:58 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you may have too many programs running in the background - or possibly some adware and spyware (see the FAQ for tips on how to remove these programs.)

Of course, you should also scandisk and defrag frequently. You could also try cleaning out your internet cache (in IE - Tools/Internet Options.)

If you have a lot of programs running, then your Page File (or Virtual Memory) is probably getting full - which means Windows is constantly adjusting it's size up and down - you should set it to one size (the recommended size) for Min and Max, this will keep Windows from adjusting it all of the time and save soem CPU cycles. I don't remember if this is in the FAQ or not, but I think so.

Give those ideas a try and see what happens. I imagine the background programs are your biggest problem.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-03, 07:58 PM
Q
HI!!!
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You might have spyware on your computer. I would download Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Program to check your computer out: http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10....html?tag=list

Old 08-06-03, 07:04 PM
las
Visiting Guest
windows xp

I agree with safewatch you got to defrag and do maintenance
quit often..It goes quiker the more you defrag?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: