Modem Dialup Speed

Old 08-09-03, 09:50 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Modem Dialup Speed

Lately (the last couple of weeks) I cannot seem to get my modem (56k dialup) connected to AOL at more than 12,000 bps. I've contacted their help line, and get the standard answer of "there's too many people connected in your area, try another time". Basically, no help. I've not changed any settings, tried very late at night, all the settings for dialup are set to connect at the highest speed possible.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-03, 03:58 PM
May be a line issue with noise on your line. Had a similar problem a couple of years ago from a loose wire in a junction box on back of house.
Talk to your phone company about checking the connection speed or see if they are doing any work in your area.

Old 08-11-03, 07:17 PM
cajuncody
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi, sorry to hear you are having problems. the first thing I always advise people to do with dial up problems is to search for new access numbers and to rearrange existing numbers. Sometimes too many people are connecting through the same lines and it slowes everyone down.
Good Luck.
Kristi

Old 08-11-03, 07:54 PM
N
Thanks for the suggestions. This is what I've done so far, all to no avail: Unplugged all phones and answering machines, plugged the modem into another phone jack, removed and re-seated the modem card inside the computer. The phone company ran an online diagnostic, and said everything was fine. No work going on in the area. The suggestion about too many people online is what AOL is saying, but I've tried at 3 am with no success, either. There is only 1 available number in our area, also. I made sure I deleted them all, let AOL auto-detect one, and tried. Same thing.

Would downloading the latest driver help at all? It is an LT Winmodem driver.

Thanks!
Jeff

Old 08-11-03, 08:13 PM
cajuncody
Visiting Guest
Updating your driver is always a good idea. Here is another. Go to your control panel and click on modems. Select your modem and click on properties. Click the modems tab there and check to see what your max setting is. If it is set lower you will connect slower. That is another simple suggestion for you to check. You can also access your modem troubleshooting from there and have it check for problems or conflicts.
What version of windows do you run?
Kristi

Old 08-12-03, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
Another test you can perform is to dial up a completely different service using HyperTerminal. Here are some example #.s:

1-847-330-2780 - USR Linetest number - this is a toll call; if you log-in as "Line Test" with a v.34 modem, it will attempt to determine if your line will support 56k connections.

1-847-330-4569 - US Robotics' V.92 Test number - this is a toll call; the server is a 3Com Total Control HiPer ARC running V.92 server side code that supports PCM upstream.

The following numbers use toll circuits but are free to the caller (as long as you don't log in):

1-888-296-3892 - (AT&T Worldnet accessV.90,x2)
1-800-638-1483 - (GTE Net access - V.90/K56Flex Ascend Server)
1-800-572-1959 - (Compuserve V.90,x2)
1-800-350-6885 - (Earthlink - V.90,x2)
1-800-853-7921 - (Earthlink - Flex)
1-800-534-7097 - (Earthlink - Flex)
1-800-304-4226 - (Shore.net - Flex)
1-800-320-4509 - (Ascend 56KFlex test line)
1-800-779-2966 - (Used to be MCI)
1-800-846-7562 - (Gateway BBS)

Open HyperTerminal, input the number, and start. When the connection is made you will be asked for login, but you should have a network connection that you can check the speed on. If your problem IS in fact too many AOL'ers, then you should get a better speed on one or more of these numbers. Used this to narrow down a problem I had a couple of years ago that turned out to be bad line from pole to interface box.

Also, you can do a basic line noise test with a corded phone. Unplug everything except the corded phone. Hit any number to get rid of dial tone. Listen VERY closely for any hum or noise on the line. This is pretty primative, but it would give you some idea what you had. When my line was bad, the hum was fairly pronounced and I was still getting 19k or so. If you're down to 12k and it's a noise problem I would think it would be wuite audible.

Good luck.

Old 08-12-03, 10:00 PM
mikej_8080
Visiting Guest
Get rid of AOL!

* Mod Note: Inappropriate Signature - Please change *

Last edited by magister; 08-12-03 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-12-03, 11:58 PM
Q
HI!!!
I had the same modem many years ago and I took it to a technician. It seemed that I used the 56k modem A LOT more than it's ever used, and it was old. So what I had to do was to replace it. I'm suppposing you have the same problem as I did.

Downloading huge files over and over triggered this problem with my modem. My suggestion: Purchase a new modem, youc an find very cheap ones almost everywhere. (Maybe $15 and under).

I simply referd to it as "My modem burnt out".

I've must of downlaoded over 60 GB when it died on me.

Old 08-21-03, 11:25 AM
conscience4u2
Visiting Guest
Had the same problem myself a few months ago, except I don't have AOL. Turned out that somehow my modem was fried, never did find out what happened to it. I'd connect up ok, but when I tried to go anyplace I'd just sit there, seemed like for hours !! Those of us with dial up connections already have to wait an eternity most of the time ! Anyway, once I replaced the modem it fixed things. But I do agree with cajuncody when he says to check your modems properties and the speed you're connecting at. If you got it set too low you'll never get anyplace. I got mine set to connect at the fastest speed available for my modem. But I DO NOT have the box checked beside it that says "Connect ONLY at this speed." If I did have it checked, again, I'd NEVER get anyplace. Hope this helps. 4u2

Old 08-22-03, 09:42 AM
N
Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been away on travel, so haven't had too much time lately to mess with it. I did talk to someone else in my area with AOL, and they haven't had any problems, so I'm thinking it's either the modem or phone line.

Did the "listen" test on a corded phone, no static or humming of any kind detectable.

Tow_guy, after connecting to one of the numbers you listed, how do I check for a connection speed? I made sure that all of my Internet and modem properties are all set to connect at the highest available speed (115,200). I did set it to connect ONLY at 57,600 and it still connected at 12,000. I thought that was a bit wierd.

I'm going to swap modems this weekend with a friend, and give it a try then. I'll post how it comes out.

Thanks!
Jeff