Windows 98 upgrade

Old 08-22-03, 07:16 PM
Windows 98 upgrade

Hi there!

I am currently on windows 98 and I just bought XP home edition. My question is -- if I upgrade my OS what do I with the softwares for printer, scanner, etc. The installation CD for the printer (deskjet 842C) is for W98 does it mean I can't use this on XP? how do I go about? Also, the other softwares I have such as Expedia streets and maps, Iomega zip drive, etc, how do I updrage them? do I buy all these softwares again? Is there any place I can download the upgrades?

please let me know.
-v

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-03, 07:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you install XP, it will do a full check of your computer and let you know of incompatiblities. For the most part, most programs running in Win98 will run in XP also - if not, you can select to run it in Win98 compatibility mode. I upgraded to WinXP about a year and a half or 2 years ago from 98/ME on my computers (when XP was still in Beta testing.) Even then I had little to no problems.

You may want to check with the manufacturer's to see if there are updates for your hardware for XP - same for the software. Usually, if you reinstall a new version of software over the old, your settings will be kept anyway (this is not always true, but for the most part.)

Good luck!