changing home page

Old 09-01-03, 04:41 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
changing home page

I have had Yahoo as my home page for a while, today I opened up my computer and I have something called surfer bar that keeps coming up. I have gone to tools, internet options and have retyped Yahoo and this other site keeps coming up and I can't get rid of it. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks

Old 09-01-03, 04:43 PM
E
I'm using windows 98

Old 09-01-03, 04:57 PM
C
Have you run Ad-Aware and your virus protection? It sounds as if you have picked up something from a download. Do you have kazaa or other file-sharing programs on your computer? Installed anything new lately?

Old 09-01-03, 05:30 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
Apparently, surferbar is a homepage hijacker and a simple google search using the terms "surferbar" and "homepage" reveals that sometimes Ad-Aware and Spybot can delete it, but not always.

---
Edited to reflect new information...

Because I ran upon some additional info about the surferbar and the several variations while looking at something else, entirely; I'm going to capitulate; Suggest you pay a visit to this site and download a program called "Hijack This!"? Then, follow his instructions about posting your logfile into the linked forum or comparing/contrasting your results with the several existing surferbar queries, if you are concerned about your privacy.

Good Luck;
R

Last edited by magister; 09-02-03 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-02-03, 08:09 AM
E
Here's whats been done so far. I've downloaded spybot, ad aware will not download, a blank page comes up and a small 6 space checkerboard is in the top left hand corner. I went to the link and it doesn't work as spelled out in the instructions. I'm kind of at my wits end and am computer illerate. I called earthlink last night and they walked me through a few things, none worked. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-02-03, 08:33 AM
C
Did you install and run spybot?

This is a direct link to the download of Ad-Aware for windows.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/236049.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: